Hen Eye Problem?

minus10gmt

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Big Island, Hawaii
I have a one year old Cuckoo Marans hen that is separated from the flock with her two chicks right now. I just noticed her eye looks injured or diseased. Sharing pics and would like to hear what you think it might be and what I can do for her. The chicks seem fine.

Attachments

• 6088E96D-FD88-4F0A-B44A-6039CE12C0C0.jpeg
    6088E96D-FD88-4F0A-B44A-6039CE12C0C0.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A8709813-5E04-4203-912C-167B767ED1B1.jpeg
    A8709813-5E04-4203-912C-167B767ED1B1.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 18
It looks like bubbles in her eye and pinkeye. That could be a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma or MG. But it also might be from a peck to the eye. There are also some spots that could be peck wounds or fowl pox. Has she been sneezing, having rattly or labored breathing, or any nasal drainage? Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Can you clean the eye with some saline eye wash feom a pharmacy? Then apply some plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye twice a day after cleaning it.

There are also some spots that could be peck wounds or fowl pox. Has she been sneezing, having rattly or labored breathing, or any nasal drainage? Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/poultry/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
I think you are correct that it is fowl pox. There is not sign at this time that it is wet, so maybe dry fowl pox. In the case of fowl pox should I not just leave it alone so I don’t spread it further? I’ve given her and the chicks (I just discovered it on one of them) some nutridrench in their water.

The eye needs to be attended to, and cleaned. Mycoplasma can be common as a secondary infection in pox. Wet pox only is in the beak and throat. Otherwise, yes the pox scabs, if that is pox and jot peck wounds should be left alone. You can dab a little Betadine on the scabs to help dry them out.
Thank you - headed to the CVS now for eye saline, betadine and terramycin or neosporin.

The eye needs to be attended to, and cleaned. Mycoplasma can be common as a secondary infection in pox. Wet pox only is in the beak and throat. Otherwise, yes the pox scabs, if that is pox and jot peck wounds should be left alone. You can dab a little Betadine on the scabs to help dry them out.

All birds doing great, and mama hen's eye is fine now, completely normal! Thanks to you and your advice. MUCH appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom