Hen favoring foot + other issues

For your viewing pleasure, if its still needed, a very recent poop picture.

nhw51TU.jpg

Once again, thank you so much for all of yalls help. Just gave her her first warm epson salt bath. She quite enjoyed it.

Thank you.
Can you tell me if the part I have circled is a small cut?
InkedewzMzLv_LI.jpg

It doesn't look like there is any major case of bumblefoot. Any tiny little cut or scratch can cause them to limp or favour a foot so close inspection is needed.

I'm glad she enjoyed her soak :) They often do!

The picture of the poop is a little blurry but from what I can see nothing looks out of the ordinary!

This I still find concerning:
-- I sometimes see a cloudlike mucuslike substance coming from her beak/nose area.
-- I noticed her coordination seems to be a little off. When I was giving her a small piece of a baby aspirin, I wrapped it in bread. It took her a few tries to get the bread piece, as she kept coming up short on her pecking attempt by a good 1-2 inches.

Have you been able to confirm her eye sight is ok?

If she were my chicken, straight away I would start her on some poultry vitamins in her water such as nutri-drench. This will help if she has not been getting to the feed as often as she should (perhaps avoiding the roo) and it will not harm her.

Then the next step I would take is to check her out for anything else I could find: Firstly make sure her crop is functioning - To check her crop: Keep food and water away from her tonight, then first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks anything, feel her crop (on right side of her breast below her neckline) It should be completely empty. During the day and until roosting time the crop should have food and water in it and can feel soft, hard, squishy and all kinds of ways. But first thing in the morning it should be empty. If it is not empty there is a problem. Crop problems will sometimes cause runny discharge from mouth/beak and can stop the chicken getting the nutrients she requires into her system.

Look inside her mouth - look for anything abnormal, any lesions or anything else that shouldn't be there?

Check her over closely for lice/mites. This is best done at nighttime once she roosts as that is when some of these creepies come out to play. Use a good flashlight and check around her vent area, under her wings and on her neck.

Have a feel of her abdomen: cup your hand underneath her between her legs and feel up towards her vent- you are looking for any bloating or swelling. If present, this could indicate a reproductive issue.

Have your chickens ever been wormed? Or tested for worms?

Lots of things I know, but when something is not blatantly obvious, process of illimination can be the only thing to try!

@Cragg Klefor what indicted scaly leg mites to you aside from the limping? I’m not doubting your assessment, but would like to be better able to identity them in a less severe case than I’m dealing with personally. The leg scales looked good to me, not really raised or cruddy. I’d like to know for future birds... I don’t want my girls catching what I’m treating... but if I can stop it early, all the better! Thanks

@Cragg Klefor what indicted scaly leg mites to you aside from the limping? I’m not doubting your assessment, but would like to be better able to identity them in a less severe case than I’m dealing with personally. The leg scales looked good to me, not really raised or cruddy. I’d like to know for future birds... I don’t want my girls catching what I’m treating... but if I can stop it early, all the better! Thanks
Yes it's a mild case just in the early stages but this section here:
DpaVXWc111.jpg

I’m not doubting your assessment
Kris please don't ever hesitate to doubt my assessment, that is one of the ways I will learn here! The more opinions - the more learning :)

Yes it's a mild case just in the early stages but this section here:
View attachment 1649389

Kris please don't ever hesitate to doubt my assessment, that is one of the ways I will learn here! The more opinions - the more learning :)

Thanks so much! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t coming off wrong. Learning how to better care for our chickens is why I’m here too... granted this site is also replacing Facebook for me now (y’all are way more interesting than my friends!) No more watching other people post tropical vacation pics... here I am looking at chicken feet! :)

So, is it the white dry looking areas, or would these scales be considered beginning to raise? And if even a mild case causes this much pain... oh my poor girls need to get out of their coop, fully treated, and into something cleaner! SLM are EVIL!

Thanks so much! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t coming off wrong. Learning how to better care for our chickens is why I’m here too... granted this site is also replacing Facebook for me now (y’all are way more interesting than my friends!) No more watching other people post tropical vacation pics... here I am looking at chicken feet! :)

So, is it the white dry looking areas, or would these scales be considered beginning to raise? And if even a mild case causes this much pain... oh my poor girls need to get out of their coop, fully treated, and into something cleaner! SLM are EVIL!
Actually I'm glad you posted here, it shows me I was unclear about this... I don't think it is the scaly leg mites causing the issue in this chicken, I don't this they would cause much pain at all at this early stage, then again - ask a chicken!!
But in this case, the scaly leg mites were just an observation, I think there is something(s) else going on here.

I agree about this forum vs facebook btw :D

Sorry I forgot to answer your question, yes it is the edge of the lifted scales. Healthy scales will lie flat to the legs/feet!

Back
Top Bottom