Hen-feathered blue bantam rooster

Some girls do fight. And some have big combs too. But spurs? 🤷🏽‍♂️
Some girls can behave and look a bit male. And some boys can be more feminine.

But if this is a non crowing rooster I would certainly breed with him or sell him for a lot of money. No crowing roosters are worth a lot of money. Because many citizens would like to have a rooster but they can’t if they crow.

Yeah, I definitely plan to add him to my breeding program. I don't know for sure, but I think he most likely carries genes for white eggs. It was funny - my other rooster immediately started crowing when I added him to my coop, where he was nearly silent before! 🤣🤣

She looks like a hen to me too!!

20201019_141709.jpg

I need some help identifying this gorgeous blue bantam rooster I just picked up. I brought him home thinking he was a blue andalusian bantam, but only realized after I got home that they don't usually carry the hen feathered gene.
I have no information on his ancestry, so he could be a purebred or a mix.

Color: blue with lacing, Andalusian style. Hen feathered.
Comb: single, medium/large with white earlobes.
Temperament: he is extremely friendly and docile. He lets my hens and my other roo do whatever they want to him without retaliating, but he doesn't run and hide either. He's very chill.

I can tell he's been handled and loved by someone, so my guess is that his previous owner thought he was a hen for a long time (hence the hen feathering). He is definitely a rooster, though, I'm guessing around 1-2 years old.

Pictures attached.
View attachment 2378149View attachment 2378151View attachment 2378158View attachment 2378160View attachment 2378161
Do you have any idea how old this bird is?

Wondering if it is a hen with an ovarian issue.

Do you have any idea how old this bird is?

Wondering if it is a hen with an ovarian issue.
Me too. Henny feathering can’t just “pop up” because it is a dominant gene. While it can hide in females because you can’t really see the gene on them, Andalusians have never been known to have it.

He looks like a 100% roo to me!!! And I wanted to comment that I have read many places, that hens CAN get spurs too. I have 3 pullets who all have spur bulbs--I'll be sure to post on here if they ever bud into actual spurs! AND, sorry if you already know this--but you said "I'm sure he'll crow in the mornings"--I've been through 5 (accidental) roosters this past year (different breeds) and every single one crows off and on all day, every day. The morning sunrise crow is an old wives tale. Roos are also way smarter than I could have ever known before having so many!!! Ours crowed to communicate every time vs random. Always as a warning, like, when they couldn't see what's making noise (like in our alley), when a full moon appeared, when they wanted snacks, when each annnd every hen was about to lay, while they we're laying, when they were done laying...

Back
Top Bottom