Hen fussing without fake egg

Cel45

Songster
Oct 28, 2015
Houston, Tx
Ok, my chicken problem solvers. Here is the situation. I have two Production Reds. One is laying and one is not. She has been laying since the 3rd of Dec. I currently have them in a temporary coop while I am building their new coop and run. The temporary coop, which they have been in since I got them is an old rabbit hutch. It is one of those with the pull out drawer with the solid bottom. Incidentally, this is where she laid her first few eggs. I made them a separate nest out of a large Rubbermaid tote and put a fake,but real looking egg in it.

She has laid faithfully in this new nest for the past few weeks. BTW, she lays an egg every day and has only taken one day off. I have kept the fake egg in the tote to encourage her to lay here. Twice now I have removed the fake egg along with hers and the next morning she makes a big fuss going in and out of the nest and to the coop, as if she can't make up her mind where to lay. When the fake egg is in there, she is no nonsence and lays and leaves to go about her day.

What should I do? Keep the fake egg out and let her figure it out or keep it in there? She did lay in the nest yesterday with no fake egg, but I was not home and do not know if there was any drama. I am just afraid to possibly encourage bloodiness by leaving it in there.

Did you mean to say, "broodiness"? Leaving a fake egg isn't going to make a hen go broody. Their inner calendar and egg counter tells them when they've laid enough eggs and then the broody hormones are triggered.

I don't see any problem with leaving the fake egg in the nest. Chickens are like people in that they each has their personality differences and emotional needs. Unless it's destructive behavior you're facing, catering to their idiosyncrasies isn't going to hurt anything.

If you got your production reds from a hatchery they aren't apt to go broody on you anyway. They are selectively bred for a high rate of lay. Broodiness is counterproductive to laying and so the tendency to go broody has been bred out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, The fake egg is back in and all is right with the world again. She made me make a New Years resolution to never take it out again, LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom