Hen going broody with fertile eggs only a few months after her first clutch

Wynnie

Songster
May 1, 2020
Hoping this is the right forum, but I have a Buff Orpington hen, she’s about 3 years old, and she had her first batch of babies ever back in April. She disappeared last night and I found her on another nest. At least a few of the eggs in question are fertile, I cracked one open and it had that telltale bullseye. How often is normal for a hen to breed and go broody? It’s only been about two months since her last babies.

Some hens will get broody only once per year, others raise chicks up to three times per year if they are healthy and well fed.

Do you want her to hatch them?

Hoping this is the right forum, but I have a Buff Orpington hen, she’s about 3 years old, and she had her first batch of babies ever back in April. She disappeared last night and I found her on another nest. At least a few of the eggs in question are fertile, I cracked one open and it had that telltale bullseye. How often is normal for a hen to breed and go broody? It’s only been about two months since her last babies.
Some breeds are more prone to beoodiness than others but really it's an individual hen thing.
You don't have to let her hatch anything if you don't want. You can always break her broodiness. There's lot of posts here on byc with tips and tricks with how to accomplish that.

Some breeds are more prone to beoodiness than others but really it's an individual hen thing.
You don't have to let her hatch anything if you don't want. You can always break her broodiness. There's lot of posts here on byc with tips and tricks with how to accomplish that.
I don’t mind letting her hatch them, my birds are fairly self sufficient as my adults are free range, I mostly just check on them and make sure they get fed and watered daily. They nest wherever they please for the most part. She’s a good mama. I was just wanting to know if it was something to be concerned about or not.

I don’t mind letting her hatch them, my birds are fairly self sufficient as my adults are free range, I mostly just check on them and make sure they get fed and watered daily. They nest wherever they please for the most part. She’s a good mama. I was just wanting to know if it was something to be concerned about or not.
No need to be concerned, as long as she gets good feed to keep her condition up there should be no problems.
Many of mine go broody (and raise chicks) at least twice a year, and it doesn't do them any harm.

Back
Top Bottom