...Hen gone broody in Jan. - is this wise? & her eggs are dirty???

Question for ya, I gave mine 12 eggs on the 8th, do I count the 9th as day one, so they should hatch on the 23rd,(not counting my chickens before they hatch, but what day should I start looking to see if they hatch.

I've been told that if you put the eggs in the bator before noon it is day one and if it is after noon the next day is day 1....

If you gave yours eggs on the 8th I would count the 9th as day 1 and January 29th would be day 21.

I found my broody on the nest on the night of the 12th and am not sure when she started. So I will count the 13th as day 1. That makes Saturday, Feb 2 as day 21.

You are not too far from me and with the cold weather I doubt they will come early.....​

...Yes, she looks just like your photo mdbucks. I even have a golden polish hen sitting next to her, there was an egg not covered real well by the black australorp so the polish hen reached over with her beak and pulled the stray egg under her! Too cute!

...It's supposed to be down in the teens at night and 30 degrees during the day this week... If she's been on the eggs for a week has an embryo started in the eggs already? She's friendly to me, I could pet her or pick her up if need be - I guess I should just let her be?

...Again, thank you! I feel like a nervous mother, or, I guess a nervous grandmother (ahhhh!)...
smile.png

...Blessings...

Hello again, I just went out to the hen house and placed her in a basket with fresh straw and placed her eggs in there with her but I noticed that there are about 9 eggs and every one are them are dirty... Should I toss them out? Let her start a new clutch?

Please advise and thank you!

TJ

Back
Top Bottom