Hen gone broody twice in a row--sick?

lothomson

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Hi guys,

My SLW hen, Willow, was broody a month ago and now she is broody again. She hasn't even recovered from the last time she was broody. She is very light and stressed out right now and I am worried she is going to get sick. I walked in on her this morning and she was flattened out with her head lolling to the side. But as soon as I approached her, she fluffed up and shireked, like usual.

Should I start feeding her some medicated chick starter? (because it is packed with nutrients and hopefully the meds will help fight off anything) (btws I am okay with using medicated feed)

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Is it normal for a hen to go broody RIGHT after she went broody?

Any advice would be great!!

-Lauren

Broody hens go or stay broody when they feel like it, some more than others. I had a hen like yours that tried to stay broody. I had to cage her in the garage away from the rest of the chickens for about 10 days before she finally got out her broodiness. Isolation away from the flock is the way to go to break broodiness no matter how long it takes. Some hens get over it sooner than others. Dont give her medicated chick starter. Give her buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg in her LAYER feed for 5 days while she's caged. Make sure you provide her fresh water as well. Buttermilk is a probiotic that will build up her immune system and coats the intestinal lining where it is easily absorbed, whereas yogurt tends to pass through birds. Scrambled egg is extra protein that will help rebuild her strength. Good luck.

Broody hens go or stay broody when they feel like it, some more than others. I had a hen like yours that tried to stay broody. I had to cage her in the garage away from the rest of the chickens for about 10 days before she finally got out her broodiness. Isolation away from the flock is the way to go to break broodiness no matter how long it takes. Some hens get over it sooner than others. Dont give her medicated chick starter. Give her buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg in her LAYER feed for 5 days while she's caged. Make sure you provide her fresh water as well. Buttermilk is a probiotic that will build up her immune system and coats the intestinal lining where it is easily absorbed, whereas yogurt tends to pass through birds. Scrambled egg is extra protein that will help rebuild her strength. Good luck.
Thank you so much, I will try this.

Back
Top Bottom