Hen got leg crushed/broken hours ago. What to do?

Roark

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Where ever my wife tells me to be.
Someone (a misguided neighbor we believe) moved our chicken tractor while the birds were in the open unfloored section. When it was set down or drug - it appears as though it was set down or caught her leg just above the hock.

I got her out, but not for several hours from when we think it likely happened. Got her into a quiet cage with some bedding and she drank a fair bit, and then ate a good bit. She can't stand at all, and there's dried blood but I haven't tried to move her much to investigate any further as yet 'cuz I was afraid of doing more harm.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

Last edited:
Sorry... posted in a bit of a panic. The hen is about 4-1/2 month old well developed Rhode Island Red that just began laying about 10 days ago. Where she was pinned down it appears that her leg is broken at the mock, but how badly I can't tell. She is laying in fairly soft bedding and seems at least calm, but the leg is just kind of laid out at her side as she sits. When I picked her up she drew the opposite leg up, but not the injured one. I suppose it's possible that they were both hurt as well, just one much worse than the other. No visible bleeding, but there is some dried blood on her lower leg below the hock, I just can't see where it came from. It's dark now and she's quiet, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how she does through the night and go from there.
I feel like total crap!

I have seen pipe cleaners used to split the leg. Then tape the leg. not so tightly to cut off circulation but enough to form a cast. I would use something to protect the leg from tape sticking to the leg. I have seen a hammock made to support the bird while it healed. I can't remenber the book that had this in but it is a very popular one. I hope this helps.

I had a 5 wk old 3 lb meat bird break its leg about 2 wks ago when he got stepped on by a horse after going in stall with it.After I figured out it wasnt dislocated,and It was not a compound fracture(broken thru the skin},I did attempt to set it but the poor lil bird screamed in pain so much when Id touch it.Instead, I applied Homeopathic Boiron Arnica Cream on it x 3-5 a day x 1wk,then x2 day x 1 wk,the stuff accelerates healing imo. The swelling went done by half in 2-3 days,and hes now almost as good as new 2 wks later.I put him on Cage Rest ie confined him to a 4' cage near the other chickend with food and water.
I didnt set it, so it did not heal 100% perfectly,however,itll get him around well.

Last edited:
If you type n the search box "broken leg" and sort by relevance...there is a lot. I remember reading about a rooster a lady found on the side of the road. She splinted his leg and did a lot for him...he is doing great and all healed up. I can't find the thread though. I'll keep looking, but maybe in the meantime if you do the search you will find something helpful.

I had a meat bird this yr who broke his leg when a horse stepped on him when he got in the way.He screeched so much when I attempted to set it that I didnt splint it,instead I put him on coop rest in a 2'x2' cage, slathered on Boiron Arnica cream(avail at Walmart,Walgreens)2-3x a day all over the broken leg for the first 3-4 days,then 2x/day for a wk,x1 per day until about the two wk time and it healed nicely.I let him out of the cage for half day or so at about day 10,then he was out with the others free ranging all day at day 14...see my post about him in "free/rehoming " section of forum.
I work as a RN,we have a standing order for Arnica crm/ointment or gel topical for my current pediatric pt becuz the stuff works so well! Its in my nursing bag for work at all times...
-S

A lots been goin' on and just now have a chance to catch up.
Hoppy is fine. Moved her to separate quarters for a few weeks before she starter putting weight on it again, but other than a little hitch in her giddyup she's fine. No splints or ointments, just kept her quiet with a beach towel over a 2'x4' wire pen w/o a roost. Lots of pine shaving bedding, food and water right within reach. Took about a week before she was standing each morning and hopping on one leg. We'd take her outside to a run where she couldn't be seen or bothered by the other birds and she would forage most of the day. Took about a month before she was obviously putting weight on her bad leg, and she's been better and better ever since.

Reacclimating her with the flock was a little tough. Chickens are a brutal lot with each other sometimes, and the others would run her off of the food from time to time or just take pecks of opportunity as she walked by. Now they all roost together with our ducks and guineas in the same building. Seems they get over it a whole lot faster when it's time to share body heat on the winter roost.

Thanks to all for their help and support.

Since then we've moved and expanded our flocks ... a lot.

Caught a large red tailed hawk with a bird in its mouth just as it was starting to pull some fethers out to get to her neck. He caught a pellet in the chest and flew away and she was none the worse for wear. Best snap shooting I've ever done.

Had a fox grab one of our ducks in broad daylight at the new digs, so now I'm a fox trapper too.

By this time next year I'll be an avian vet. What started as a half dozen chicks and three ducklings from TSC has grown to a couple dozen ducks, and another dozen and a half layers, some guineas, three turkeys, and some quail. This spring we're going to try three chicken tractors of broilers and a couple of guard geese as well.

I guess I'm lucky nobody sells emu's around here. ;)

I'm glad she recovered well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom