Hen has bumps all over her Comb

Robert G

Songster
5 Years
Jan 23, 2018
South Texas
One of my hens stayed behind today and she was roosting alone outside the coop. So I went to put her in the coop and noticed she has bumps all over her comb. Don't know anyway other way to describe it. Its night time so I couldn't get a good picture so I hope the one I did take is good enough to identify what she may have. Is it a disease or illness and what can I do to help her. Also is it contagious to the other hens?
20181019_214024.jpg

It could be fowl pox.
There’s a wet version and a dry version.
Yes it’s contagious, but it’s not a deadly disease. It just runs its course and makes them feel yucky.
The wet version involves yellowish waxy looking plaques inside the throat or mouth which makes eating uncomfortable so you’ll want to get a good look in there.

We've had so much rain these last two weeks and our first cold front also came in. They free range all day so could being in the cold/wet cause this?

That explains it. With all this rain, there have been a ton of mosquitoes. I do empty any standing water but you can imagine when some backyards are flooded what the damage can be. Thank you for all the info.

I’m in nc @Robert G and since a few weeks after hurricane Florence the mosquitos here have been unbearable.
Do keep an eye out for those mouth plaques which can actually be gently scraped off with a stop sometimes, and offer tempting foods to get her over the hump of feeling poorly.
Scrambled eggs, plain yogurt, canned tuna... you know the drill. whatever tickles her fancy.

I'm so glad for all the wisdom this site has to offer and all the kindness and knowledge from its members. If I knew that mosquitoes were the cause I could have researched what to keep them away from the coops at night when the hens sleep. Hopefully she will go through it quick. Thank you for your replies and links.

I'm so glad for all the wisdom this site has to offer and all the kindness and knowledge from its members. If I knew that mosquitoes were the cause I could have researched what to keep them away from the coops at night when the hens sleep. Hopefully she will go through it quick. Thank you for your replies and links.
Rob you can’t beat yourself up about this!

I’m personally shocked my birds don’t have it (yet-knock on wood)

The only reliable way to keep mosquitos off your property is with lawn service poisons and that doesn’t create a safe environment for you chickens (or you or you kids) to forage in anyway.

The best thing to do is make sure you empty any standing water daily.

For bigger vessels you can float “mosquito dunkers” which are actually organic and kill off larvae but don’t even harm aquatic fish (such as in a koi pond). I don’t reccomment the crumbled version of the product though, because I think the birds would just scratch along and think it’s food and eat it.

You can also use some “fly spray” for horses inside the coop -it’s a pyrethrin based product. It helps some to repel mosquitos.

*but it’s not safe to use around cats, so take that into account if you have any outdoor kitties.

It IS a good thing to have in your “ready kit” however, because it is VERY EFFECTIVE for treating chickens for lice and mites.

This is a great site. Chicken peeps helping chicken peeps!

You can install screen on the vents to your coop as well as the chicken entrance. The screen will deter mosquitos, flies and gnats from getting inside the coop day or night. See pics below.
I've dealt with fowl pox. Depending on the severity of the strain, best case of it clearing up is about 4-6 weeks, worse case is a couple of months.
Once it passes through your flock, your birds will be immune to that particular strain thereafter. Eggs are safe to eat. Here's a couple of outside and inside pics with screen at the entrance. I used a razor blade to slice "strips" so that the chickens can pass through it.
All the vents are covered with hardware cloth and screen. All 3 of my coops have screen on the vents and at the entrance.
004.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom