Hen has cloacitis but I think she could also have Mareks

Coolbrooker

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2017
Please help, I don't want to lose my flock! (I know if it's cloacitis it's not contagious but I'm afraid that's not the whole story). It started last night when I noticed a hen in the nesting box. I picked her up to put her on the bars, thought she was good and let go. The hen proceeded to fall to the ground. I didn't think much of it and left her to jump back up. This morning I saw her standing funny in the sun, thinking she was just trying to warm up (it's 28 degrees outside) I walked away. A few hours later I came back and she hadn't moved. I was just checking her out and her vent is ok but her vent area is pretty bare and covered in crusty white poop. Her pupils aren't reactive to light and she's hunched over barely moving. I have no idea what it could be. I thought it sounded like mareks but all of my chickens have been vaccinated. Please help!
20180114_113312.jpg
20180114_113322.jpg

My hen did the same thing, but not sure if she had Merek’s. I had a Silkie die a month later and her necropsy was consisted with Marek’s.
If I am correct, the vaccine help build their immunity up, but doesn’t prevent them from getting Merek’s.
I am sorry about your sweet baby. It doesn’t sound like she has much longer if her pupils are sluggish :hugs

Back
Top Bottom