Hen has diarrhea for over a week! HELP

Terrianne

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
I have a 2 year old plymouth Barred rock hen. She just went through a really bad molt. Her feathers are coming back in nice. She hasn't laid an egg in over 2 weeks and has diarrhea. She is eating and drinking. No breathing problems. But in the morning when I go to clean the coop out it's soaked in diarrhea. She isn't walking funny and her vent looks fine. Help! I don't know what to do. My other 2 chickens are fine and laying.

I have a 2 year old plymouth Barred rock hen. She just went through a really bad molt. Her feathers are coming back in nice. She hasn't laid an egg in over 2 weeks and has diarrhea. She is eating and drinking. No breathing problems. But in the morning when I go to clean the coop out it's soaked in diarrhea. She isn't walking funny and her vent looks fine. Help! I don't know what to do. My other 2 chickens are fine and laying.
here is a picture of her poo from today
IMG_20200928_171758970.jpg

My 4 hens (18 months old) are in the middle of molting too and I'm seeing a lot of watery poops too. In the coop and in the yard. I've seen them drop liquid poops 1st thing in the morning but don't watch all day. Hoping it's just normal for molting hens. Looking for answers too, so I'll be watching your thread. Good luck! Hope your chickies are ok. ♥️

Try vinegar in the water -- I am NOT asking to be argued with here. It's worked for me. -- If it is definitely diarrhoea it can spread. Have you wormed them, and how recently?

I don't know about Terrianne, but I've never wormed mine. Been thinking I probably should. Wait till after molt? If I worm after they start laying again, are their eggs safe to eat?

I don't know about Terrianne, but I've never wormed mine. Been thinking I probably should. Wait till after molt? If I worm after they start laying again, are their eggs safe to eat?
It depends what wormer you use and what country's standards you want to follow.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Monitor her intake and output for a few days before adding any 'cures'.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom