Hen has diarrhea, lethargic and not eating much.

Tiffany P

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Olive Egger, Maran, 20 weeks, she seeems thinner

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She was the most friendly hen and energetic, vocal lady until about a week ago. She does not move around much now , she won’t eat and is less vocal. Her vent is clear and she doesn’t appear to have any pests.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A little over a week.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, and she is isolated.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I am aware of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She will eat small amounts of yogurt but not much :(

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Diarrhea yelllow and bright green very liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Diatomaceous Earth, yogurt, apple cider vinegar in her water, warm baths, heat lamp

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Before isolation -Mix of wood shavings on the ground hay in the nests.
Now- wood shavings changed when soiled.

Welcome to BYC!
So sorry about your sick girl.

Could you get a picture of her?
Check her over for lice and mites.
Early in the morning, check her crop and make sure its empty.
She's probably not laying yet, correct?
What's her diet?

Her poop is a sign that she's not eating, and she really needs to.
I would try offering her some meat, fish, or eggs (cooked or raw), and see if she eats it. If not, I would wet down her food enough so you can syringe feed her. Wetting down the feed is good, as you can get food and fluids into her at the same time.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Olive Egger, Maran, 20 weeks, she seeems thinner

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She was the most friendly hen and energetic, vocal lady until about a week ago. She does not move around much now , she won’t eat and is less vocal. Her vent is clear and she doesn’t appear to have any pests.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A little over a week.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, and she is isolated.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I am aware of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She will eat small amounts of yogurt but not much :(

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Diarrhea yelllow and bright green very liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Diatomaceous Earth, yogurt, apple cider vinegar in her water, warm baths, heat lamp

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Before isolation -Mix of wood shavings on the ground hay in the nests.
Now- wood shavings changed when soiled.
Welcome to BYC!
So sorry about your sick girl.

Could you get a picture of her?
Check her over for lice and mites.
Early in the morning, check her crop and make sure its empty.
She's probably not laying yet, correct?
What's her diet?

Her poop is a sign that she's not eating, and she really needs to.
I would try offering her some meat, fish, or eggs (cooked or raw), and see if she eats it. If not, I would wet down her food enough so you can syringe feed her. Wetting down the feed is good, as you can get food and fluids into her at the same time.
I will take a pic and post here later today.
I did check her for lice and mites but she doesn't seem to have any of these issues.
I pushed on her crop because it felt spongy and she burped, and the smell was pretty sour. She seems to have all the symptoms of sour crop. I tried to get her to vomit, but it didn’t work.
I did force feed her, some diluted apple cider vinegar water last night.
All of the other chickens that I got at the same time or laying eggs, so I’m assuming she was producing, but definitely is not at the moment.
I felt around for maybe an egg that she couldn’t pass, but couldn’t feel anything in her vent looks fine.
I just switched to a new feed about three or four weeks ago - egg laying pellets, and I put a calcium supplement mixed up inside the food. After she got sick, I read about diatomaceous earth, and it’s now mixed in with all their feed.
They get dehydrated meal worms as a dessert maybe 3 to 4 times a week.
They also get scraps from our fruit trees. Mainly apples and grapes sometimes pears. And they really love squash.
My friend of mine just recently told me about yogurt and how good it is for them - so I’ve been giving the flock yogurt and my sick girl will occasionally dip her beak in once or twice, but then doesn’t want anything to do with it. I diluted apple cider vinegar water and gave it to her forcefully last night in the flock has this in their water now as well.
Thank you for the idea of wetting
her food. I will try meat and eggs today. Fingers crossed. She’s my favorite chicken, even though I shouldn’t have one!

Last edited:
i would try offering eggs cooked or uncooked and other foods because the poop is a sign of not enough food and check her for mites again.

She ate some of the egg! The most I have seen her eat since she fell ill.
I gave her more water too and burped her again. I hope she perks up.

Attachments

• IMG_9781.jpeg
    IMG_9781.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 8
You may want to give her some sugar water. That will give her some immediate electrolytes. She is probably is dehydrated.
https://chickenandchicksinfo.com/sugar-water-for-chickens/

I had one that apparently got dehydrated during the severe heat. Using a syringe, I started feeding her a small cup of sugar water every two hours for eight hours. She was separated from the others, so I put her some starter crumbles and water with Hydro Hen in her pen. Within a day she was more active and started eating again.

Back
Top Bottom