Hen has diarrhea

Terrianne

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
I have a 2 year old plymouth Barred rock hen. She just went through a really bad molt. Her feathers are coming back in nice. She hasn't laid an egg in over 2 weeks and has diarrhea. She is eating and drinking. No breathing problems. But in the morning when I go to clean the coop out it's soaked in diarrhea. She isn't walking funny and her vent looks fine. Help! I don't know what to do. My other 2 chickens are fine and laying.

Try some probiotics in the water. Leave plain water available too but the probiotics should help. They’re available in most feed stores in small packets that treat a gallon of water. Do that for three days and see how she’s doing. Molting is hard on them. Also, up her protein a wee bit to help those feathers come in.

Try some probiotics in the water. Leave plain water available too but the probiotics should help. They’re available in most feed stores in small packets that treat a gallon of water. Do that for three days and see how she’s doing. Molting is hard on them. Also, up her protein a wee bit to help those feathers come in.
Someone told me to treat her and the other 2 I have for a week with corid. I started that today. Should I not do that and just do the probiotics? I posted a picture of her poo from yesterday . Not sure if you saw that. Right now I'm looking at her and she's been hanging out in the same spot away from the other 2. 😢 I'll post the picture again. There is no blood in it. IMG_20200928_171758970.jpg

Someone told me to treat her and the other 2 I have for a week with corid. I started that today. Should I not do that and just do the probiotics? I posted a picture of her poo from yesterday . Not sure if you saw that. Right now I'm looking at her and she's been hanging out in the same spot away from the other 2. 😢 I'll post the picture again. There is no blood in it. View attachment 2352880
Is there blood in her poop? I don’t see any but my eyes are terrible. If there’s no blood the corid won’t hurt but it may be unnecessary. I might ask a vet to send a fecal sample to see if they have worms regardless. At this age if she’s having issues with cocci then I would be concerned there’s something else going on as it’s most often an issue with younger birds. If you get wild bird visitors then they can certainly bring it to your flock. I don’t know that it would be bad to give the probiotics and the corid both, I’ve never treated for cocci before, but I imagine it wouldn’t hurt and I’ve never read about adverse events when people did so. Or you can wait until after the corid treatment and then give the probiotics.

Is there blood in her poop? I don’t see any but my eyes are terrible. If there’s no blood the corid won’t hurt but it may be unnecessary. I might ask a vet to send a fecal sample to see if they have worms regardless. At this age if she’s having issues with cocci then I would be concerned there’s something else going on as it’s most often an issue with younger birds. If you get wild bird visitors then they can certainly bring it to your flock. I don’t know that it would be bad to give the probiotics and the corid both, I’ve never treated for cocci before, but I imagine it wouldn’t hurt and I’ve never read about adverse events when people did so. Or you can wait until after the corid treatment and then give the probiotics.
Thank you so much for replying. Yes I didn't see any blood either. I'll give them the corid treatment for 5 days and see if that does anything. After that I'll do the probiotics and ACV. It's really weird. When she was 1 she had a bare belly and I treated for mites. Not sure if she even had them. Now she'll be 2 this Oct and she went through this huge molt that took all summer. Now she has feathers all over her belly and the rest of her body. Then this poo problem came along! If it's not one thing it's another 🤪

Thank you so much for replying. Yes I didn't see any blood either. I'll give them the corid treatment for 5 days and see if that does anything. After that I'll do the probiotics and ACV. It's really weird. When she was 1 she had a bare belly and I treated for mites. Not sure if she even had them. Now she'll be 2 this Oct and she went through this huge molt that took all summer. Now she has feathers all over her belly and the rest of her body. Then this poo problem came along! If it's not one thing it's another 🤪
I have to say also she is drinking tons of water!

Back
Top Bottom