Hen has discolored spot on comb help please

Alyssa Giroux

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2018
I recently noticed that My 1 year old buff Orpington, Mabel, has developed this random discoloration at the back of her comb. I have included a picture below. I have 4 other hens, and not noticed this in any of the others. Mabel is eating and drinking like normal, grazing in the yard, and laying. She did lay a few mis shaped eggs but has resumed normal healthy laying as of lately. Her stool has been normal as far as I know, her vent is clear and I have not seen as evidence of diarrhea or watery stool. Her bum feathers are all clean. All the girls are on dumor organic layer crumbles, oyster shell, and I also put organic ACV in their water. I’m in Florida and it has been warming up lately so idk if maybe that could be having an effect on her? She also have never molted before, and I notice that this discoloration seems to come and go. One part of the day it will be there and when I come out to check on them later it will be gone and her comb will be nice and red and healthy looking? Any Info or help would be great , as I’ve never experienced this symptom with our flock yet. We lost one of our girls earlier this year to egg peritonitis and I get so worried now any time anything changes with them. Thank you in advanced

Attachments

• 9A529AC5-FB28-4261-8E12-EA3867C839EB.jpeg
    9A529AC5-FB28-4261-8E12-EA3867C839EB.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 8
I forgot to add that I do not deworm my flock but I do use DE in their coop and nesting box areas.

I don't see a spot of her comb.
:confused:
I would like to point out that DE does zero for worming chickens. You should collect some fresh poop and bring it to your local vet to have it checked for worms.
You should also offer fresh clean plain water to your birds.

It’s the purple discoloration on the very last lobe on her comb. Sorry I didn’t specify clearly! ‍♀️

QUOTE="KikisGirls, post: 19938211, member: 371076"]I don't see a spot of her comb.
I would like to point out that DE does zero for worming chickens. You should collect some fresh poop and bring it to your local vet to have it checked for worms.
You should also offer fresh clean plain water to your birds.[/QUOTE]
I don't see a spot of her comb.
You should also offer fresh clean plain water to your birds.

Back
Top Bottom