Hen has foamy eye - is it Mycoplasma or something else?

BuffSilkington

Hatching
Aug 17, 2019
My 1 year old Americauna Hen was attacked by a racoon 2 weeks ago, had puncture wounds to her head that have healed up nicely with vetiricyn and we've been syringe feeding Kaytee Exact because she won't eat. We thought she was on the mend and would start eating on her own soon, but for the past few days she has occasional foamy eye and her breathing seems labored at times. I got Tylan 50 from Tractor Supply and we gave her .25ml orally today. Is this Mycoplasma or could we have done something wrong while syringe feeding her and she inhaled the food? She's the only one of our flock exhibiting these symptoms, she's mostly been inside other than a few hours the past few days socializing with the flock, which seemed to be doing her good. I don't want to keep her isolated inside unless she could get the other girls sick. We don't have access to a vet and I'm not sure how to help her and make sure the rest of the flock stays healthy. Thanks for any help you all can give, this site has been a huge help and resource!

Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry to hear about your hen, can you post some photos?

She had injuries to the head? Any cuts or bruises near at the eyes?

Since she has not recovered enough to eat on her own and you are having to tube feed her, then I would take a guess that she may have infection due to the attack. Rinse the eye with saline, remove any pus/foam and apply an eye ointment.

Since you started her on Tylan50 give her the correct dose at 0.25ml per pound of weight orally 3 times a day for 5 days. Hopefully this will help.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last few weeks or does your flock have a history of respiratory disease?

Thanks so much for replying and the helpful info. I'll rinse her eye and use ointment. We haven't added to the flock and no respiratory history. She had puncture wounds around her head from the attack and the skin around her jaw was ripped open.
We're actually giving her Tylan 200, that's all I could find, sorry I accidentally wrote Tylan 50. We're administering 35mg per kg orally twice a day, so between .25ml and .35ml (to account for loss in needle and syringe) to dose at 52.5mg for her weight.
Her right eye foams when she's being syringe fed as she breathes out. She ends up with a lot of air in her crop from the syringe feeding.
We really want to get her back out with the flock, it seemed like it was helping her recover because she was pecking at the ground and eating and drinking a little. Inside she just stands there and won't eat or drink.
Again, thanks for the help, we're new to chicken keeping and it's so overwhelming trying to figure it all out.
IMG_20190818_120550.jpg

We're actually giving her Tylan 200, that's all I could find, sorry I accidentally wrote Tylan 50. We're administering 35mg per kg orally twice a day, so between .25ml and .35ml (to account for loss in needle and syringe) to dose at 52.5mg for her weight.

it seemed like it was helping her recover because she was pecking at the ground and eating and drinking a little. Inside she just stands there and won't eat or drink.

Her right eye foams when she's being syringe fed as she breathes out. She ends up with a lot of air in her crop from the syringe feeding.
@casportpony may be able to offer some tips on tube feeding, since the eye foams up when when she's syringe fed and the crop is getting a lot of air.

How much does she weigh?

Back
Top Bottom