Hen has labored breathing.

LillyLover

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Australia
Please help. My 2 year old hen choked on something 9 days ago and as a result she has developed some fluid in her lungs. She has labored breathing. But has not lost her appetite or her energy, she is drinking fine. When I got my hen as a gift when she was 10 weeks old, I found out through the vet that she has a bent neck, so when she is picked up and cuddled or bathed she starts to gasp, but when she is sitting or walking around her breathing is fine. I listened to her breathing and found she also has a blocked nose. Is there anything I can do to unblock her nose and get the fluid out of her lungs ? Please help I don't want my girl to be suffering.

Fluid on the lungs is a chest or respiratory infection, like pnumonia in humans. The food or fluid choked on gets into the lungs and causes an infection. It sounds like for your girl, this infection has spread into a full blown respiratory infection in her sinuses too.

The only treatment is antibiotics. Tylan is usually recommended I think - you can inject it or get a soluable form that you add to their drinking water. Search the forums for more info.

Keeping her indoors, somewhere warm and steamy can help relieve symptoms & make her more comfy. Just think what you'd do for yourself if you had a bad chest infection! If you can get her on antibiotics, the fluid and congestion should clear up.

Good luck! x

Back
Top Bottom