Hen has lost feathers on belly and skin is quite red

PrairieHollow

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2021
Hi- I have a Rhode Island Red, about 16 months old (we have 15 other chickens); my son informed me today that she has lost feathers on her underside, mostly the chest and belly area, mainly and not near the vent. The bare skin is quite red and looks inflamed. Near the end of where the feathers are gone, I can see there are short little bits of feathers at the edge of the bare spot, then normal feathers beyond that. I didn't see any bugs/mites/etc on her, but I know they can be hard to spot, too. She seems to be behaving normally as far as we can tell. I don't believe any others in the flock are affected like this, but we'll check them all out tomorrow to confirm that. Wondering what we might be dealing with here. I don't believe she is molting, as there are no other feathers missing. I will attach some pictures to show what her underside looks like. Our flock does limited free ranging, and has not been out much lately. As far as I know, all the chickens roost on the roosting bars (2x4's) in the coop, but I wil check to make sure they are all roosting on the bar tonight to know for sure. I haven't known any to do other than that unless they've gone broody, but this one is not broody.
IMG_3267.jpg
IMG_3271.jpg
IMG_3272.jpg
IMG_3273.jpg

Hi- I have a Rhode Island Red, about 16 months old (we have 15 other chickens); my son informed me today that she has lost feathers on her underside, mostly the chest and belly area, mainly and not near the vent. The bare skin is quite red and looks inflamed. Near the end of where the feathers are gone, I can see there are short little bits of feathers at the edge of the bare spot, then normal feathers beyond that. I didn't see any bugs/mites/etc on her, but I know they can be hard to spot, too. She seems to be behaving normally as far as we can tell. I don't believe any others in the flock are affected like this, but we'll check them all out tomorrow to confirm that. Wondering what we might be dealing with here. I don't believe she is molting, as there are no other feathers missing. I will attach some pictures to show what her underside looks like. Our flock does limited free ranging, and has not been out much lately. As far as I know, all the chickens roost on the roosting bars (2x4's) in the coop, but I wil check to make sure they are all roosting on the bar tonight to know for sure. I haven't known any to do other than that unless they've gone broody, but this one is not broody.View attachment 3173900View attachment 3173901View attachment 3173902View attachment 3173903
One of my hens (Copper Maran) has exactly the same. I have no idea what it is or what to do for her. She’s stopped laying. Is yours still laying?

PrairieHollow, I also have a hen looking like yours. I have created a post on her but so far I have no answers. She acts healthy and is feisty as can be. It is my belief, at this point, that she is doing a hard molt and there is just way more air and sun on her skin than it's used to.
* To be very clear, I do not KNOW this for sure. I don't want to misguide anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_212352031.jpg
    IMG_20220814_212352031.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 22
As far as I know, all the chickens roost on the roosting bars (2x4's) in the coop, but I wil check to make sure they are all roosting on the bar
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Be sure and note her location and maybe also swipe under roost with a white cloth.,. as roost mites do not live on the birds but come out to fee on them after roost.

To me angry red skin is a couple possible conditions..

Mites, lice, etc.. even if not seen is highly possible and top consideration.. permethrin based (horse fly spray) treatment is usually a good choice with no egg withdrawal required, but there are other options available.

Bullying.. doesn't take place in that pattern.

Friction.. that's farther widespread than roost damage.

Ascites, kidney failure. Usually a genetic condition sometimes coupled with excess low nutrient feed stuff.

In my experience.. molting causes feather loss not angry skin.

If you happen to be using DE, I would discontinue use until she heals up that dryness at least.

Hope it resolves quickly! :fl

My Penciled Plymouth Rock is the same way with the exception of the red inflamed skin. She has been this way for months. Oh, and she has a bald head right behind her comb. Seriously since late winter. I was hoping her first molt this Fall would correct it. Reading through the posts is sounds like they are 13, 14, 15ish months Correct?

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue. I can't identify any reason for it. Taking our girl to the vet tomorrow to hopefully get some answers.

If she isn't showing other symptoms it might be a serious nothing at all. I have a hen now 3 years old, tiny little Leghorn bantam, her belly is smooth as a baby's butt and bright red. She never had feathers there after her first few months. She wore them off by sleeping in the nest taking what I call "egg naps". I suspect it is because in the beginning I used pine shaving instead of straw in the nests. (It was all I could get locally)

The color is just her circulation (she has excellent circulation) on skin that is not weather protected by feathers.

If she is taking dust bathes in diatomaceous earth or hard sand she has irritation of her skin, switch to peat moss. But still nothing to worry about
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue. I can't identify any reason for it. Taking our girl to the vet tomorrow to hopefully get some answers

PrairieHollow, I also have a hen looking like yours. I have created a post on her but so far I have no answers. She acts healthy and is feisty as can be. It is my belief, at this point, that she is doing a hard molt and there is just way more air and sun on her skin than it's used to.
* To be very clear, I do not KNOW this for sure. I don't want to misguide anyone.
Hi, I know this is a very old post, but curious how this chicken of yours was/is doing? I have a one that looks exactly the same and has for weeks and I have no idea what it’s from. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom