Hen has lost her voice and has hoarse chirps

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
I got back from a short vacation, and after coming home, realized one of my pullets sounded really odd, like unnaturally odd. Her voice is extremely hoarse and raspy. Her voice used to sound like an 8 bit laser gun but now it sounds horrible. My cockerel(who was on vacation with me) returned to the flock and immediately started attacking her. I’m not sure why. Maybe he knows something I don’t. Let me know what you guys think. Here’s a clip of her sounds:
Just a quick note: There are some other chirps in the background which may sound confusing but she does the most chirping in the audio clip.

Does she seem ok otherwise? Any head shaking, discharge etc?
Uhm, I haven’t had much time to observe her since I got home late, though I took the flock outside and she seemed normal. Flying around, energetic, foraging and doing usual chicken stuff.

I got back from a short vacation, and after coming home, realized one of my pullets sounded really odd, like unnaturally odd. Her voice is extremely hoarse and raspy. Her voice used to sound like an 8 bit laser gun but now it sounds horrible. My cockerel(who was on vacation with me) returned to the flock and immediately started attacking her. I’m not sure why. Maybe he knows something I don’t. Let me know what you guys think. Here’s a clip of her sounds:
Just a quick note: There are some other chirps in the background which may sound confusing but she does the most chirping in the audio clip.
Thats exactly how one of my pullets also sounds.

I have had chickens make weird noises as they grow and unless there are other symptoms I wouldn't worry. Unless she's turning into a rooster lol ..not sure how old your birds are....

I have had chickens make weird noises as they grow and unless there are other symptoms I wouldn't worry. Unless she's turning into a rooster lol ..not sure how old your birds are....
I got her around Mid-April this year, so about 2 months and a couple weeks.

Yep. Unless you’re really worried, she could just be growing. Since the others attacked her, I would watch her, but it could just be the pecking orders being worked out

Back
Top Bottom