Hen Has Nasty Vent Feathers!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shadow rabbit10, Jul 15, 2015.

1. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I have seen that particular brand tearooster posted online, but never in any stores around me. [​IMG] I will keep my eyes open though. Maybe feed stores sell it... The one store I go to sells a lot of organic/locally grown spreads and jams and such. If I can't find it in stores, I could order it online or something.

2. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Do you have a rooster? My hens who are my roos fave all have this-and all my roos are 'messy breeders' and the way I fix it is trim around her -and the roos- vents. No more problems.
    It is cause by a roo with poor aim, then everything else sticks to her because of it.
    If you don't have a roo, then I'm out of ideas [​IMG]

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Does she have diarrhea?

4. shadow rabbit10

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    No roosters here :/

5. shadow rabbit10

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have watcher her poop, and she doesn't have any diarrhea. Her poop is either solid, or the messy wet stuff, but not diarrhea. There doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with her.

6. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

A messy bum like that is a sure sign that something is off in her digestive system. Probiotics are nearly always indicated. It can be yogurt, special chicken probiotics, human probiotics (open the capsule) or even saltless sauerkraut.

The mother ACV can be found in a health food store, the health food section of some grocery stores or even Wal-Mart. But just use the regular stuff for now, I wouldn't wait to find the mother kind.

7. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sounds like vent gleet then, I agree. Cut back on scratch. give only feed and free range. A friend of mine has traced the vent gleet to to much cracked corn/scratch. I think it may raise their blood sugar, the yeast takes over. limit anything with sugar, fruits and such as well.

8. shadow rabbit10

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    I never give scratch or cracked corn. Sometimes I will give them a garden seed mix as a treat however (made for chickens). I use to give them fruit breads a lot, but have stopped that since my vet warned me about yeast buildup. I still give it to them once in a while though. I try not to give them treats everyday, but my mother loves to give them stuff without me knowing. I do give them cucumber frequently. Don't know if that has a lot of sugar in it?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  9. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    That's good.

Well, cucumber does not have a lot of sugar, but I quit giving mine cucumber as for some reason it give one of my chickens runny poo, then a messy bottom. maybe try and cut that out for a few days and see what happens. I know it was the cucumber as she only got it when I gave them the cucumber.

10. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    cucumber, and other melons, can have a laxative effective. Try cutting out the cucumber and see how they do. But still, probiotics won't hurt.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by