Hen Has Nasty Vent Feathers!

cucumber, and other melons, can have a laxative effective. Try cutting out the cucumber and see how they do. But still, probiotics won't hurt.

Thank you, I did not know that. I will give it to them less, and start using ACV or maybe yogurt. Will any yogurt do? I just feel bad because on hot days like today, I like to give them something cold/wet to eat.

Thank you, I did not know that. I will give it to them less, and start using ACV or maybe yogurt. Will any yogurt do? I just feel bad because on hot days like today, I like to give them something cold/wet to eat.
Plain, full fat yogurt, no sugar free or sweetened, or flavored. The artificial sweetener and such kills the good bacteria. I use powdered probiotics. I sprinkle it in there food if needed. yogurt is good if you don't have any. they also sell probiotic you put in there water. They love yogurt!

I just gave mine frozen strawberries and cut up kale, maybe something like that would work instead of cucumbers?

Can't recall if anyone mentioned fermented feed yet. Look it up on BYC here. Easy way to get some probiotics. X2 on plain yogurt, no sweeteners, artificial or not, no flavorings. Make sure it says live cultures on the label.

Plain yogurt is best!
Thanks!

Plain, full fat yogurt, no sugar free or sweetened, or flavored. The artificial sweetener and such kills the good bacteria. I use powdered probiotics. I sprinkle it in there food if needed. yogurt is good if you don't have any. they also sell probiotic you put in there water. They love yogurt!

I just gave mine frozen strawberries and cut up kale, maybe something like that would work instead of cucumbers?
Thanks! Problem is, my birds can be sort of picky. They don't like strawberries, and they don't like greens of any sort (except when I try to grow vegetables in my garden of course, then they destroy the plants like a swarm of locusts). I had some papaya left over from my rabbits that I gave them, but I believe that acts almost as a laxative as well. They like raw corn on the cob, but I don't know if that's the best for them either. I'll have to look around next time I'm at the food store and try to find something different for them. Picky little things. And I have considered fermented feed, but the problem is, I won't be living at home for much longer and my mom (who will be caring for my birds when I'm gone) won't want to go through the trouble to make the stuff.

Plain yogurt is best!

Thanks!

Plain, full fat yogurt, no sugar free or sweetened, or flavored. The artificial sweetener and such kills the good bacteria.  I use powdered probiotics. I sprinkle it in there food if needed. yogurt is good if you don't have any.  they also sell probiotic you put in there water.  They love yogurt!  

Thanks! Problem is, my birds can be sort of picky. They don't like strawberries, and they don't like greens of any sort (except when I try to grow vegetables in my garden of course, then they destroy the plants like a swarm of locusts). I had some papaya left over from my rabbits that I gave them, but I believe that acts almost as a laxative as well. They like raw corn on the cob, but I don't know if that's the best for them either. I'll have to look around next time I'm at the food store and try to find something different for them. Picky little things. And I have considered fermented feed, but the problem is, I won't be living at home for much longer and my mom (who will be caring for my birds when I'm gone) won't want to go through the trouble to make the stuff. 

Sorry for cutting in on your thread. I just wanted to mention that my vet prescribed some probiotics for my RIR and she loves it! My girls are extremely picky, too so that says something! Anyway, it was expensive but available on Amazon for much less (aprox. $13.00). It comes in a syringe and u dispense a pea size amount for each bird. Probios is the manufacturer if you are interested.

Sorry for cutting in on your thread. I just wanted to mention that my vet prescribed some probiotics for my RIR and she loves it! My girls are extremely picky, too so that says something! Anyway, it was expensive but available on Amazon for much less (aprox. $13.00). It comes in a syringe and u dispense a pea size amount for each bird. Probios is the manufacturer if you are interested.

No apologies necessary, all advice is welcome here.
smile.png
And thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it.

Plain yogurt is best!

Thanks!

Plain, full fat yogurt, no sugar free or sweetened, or flavored. The artificial sweetener and such kills the good bacteria.  I use powdered probiotics. I sprinkle it in there food if needed. yogurt is good if you don't have any.  they also sell probiotic you put in there water.  They love yogurt!  

Forgot to mention they just eat it right off the tip of your finger so there's no waste and no mess!

No apologies necessary, all advice is welcome here. :)  And thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it.

You're welcome and good luck!

I see they also have dry granular, I wonder has anyone tried that in the Probios?

Back
Top Bottom