Hen has prolapse and poop does not come out of vent opening.

Aug 17, 2018
Hello all,
One of our hens has what looks to be a prolapse. We have been cleaning it and pushing it back in. It appears however that when she poops the prolapse happens again. The poop is not coming out of the anal opening but rather out of the side which seems to push the prolapse out again. Is this normal or are there other internal issues going on?
Thanks for any insight.

I will try to get a picture up later. She is not egg bound. She has been laying until we started giving her less protein and limiting her light. The prolapse seems to more pushed out from the side the poop comes out off. The poop is not coming out of the vent but rather from the side of the prolapse. I can get the prolapse to go back in but it comes out as soon as she poops. The poop seems to be pushing the prolapse out if that makes any sense.

That can be typical of a prolapse, since any straining can push it right back out. It may keep happening for a few days, and eventually stay in. It is good that you can push it back inside and that she is able to poop, and as long as that is the case, I wouldn’t worry too much. Sometimes you can hold the bird in your lap, and with a gloved hand, hold the tissue in for a few minutes. Many will try to get the hen to stop laying eggs for a couple of weeks, and that is accomplished by placing them in a dark cage or room for 16 hours overnight each day, and letting them out to feed and walk around for 8 hours daily. It can take several days for that to work.

Prolapse can recur later. There is also a chance that more of the intestines can come out, or that other chickens can peck and injure the vent tissue. If those things happen, it is usually time to put them down. I would keep her isolated until the prolapse stays inside.

P1030424.JPG Here is a picture of the hens vent. She is on her side. The poop does not come out of the hole in center but rather above it were the bulge is. It does not take much for me to push this back in an look normal. It just comes out every time she poops.

The tissue appears nice and pink and healthy, so that is good. The cloaca is where the oviduct comes into the same area where the large intestines end, so that is why you are seeing poop come out at a slightly different area. Here is a diagram upper right where the orifices are labeled in a bird:

upload_2018-8-17_22-8-0.jpeg

Hi,
I have a hen exactly the same way. She had a vent prolapse back in August and I pushed it in repeatedly and it eventually stayed in. She was doing so well until I noticed two weeks ago, that she is prolapsing each time she poos. Her poo hole is not centred at the vent. Instead, my hen has to prolapse almost an inch in order to poo, and then the poo comes out of the (right) side of the prolapse. It’s like her poo hole is no longer aligned with her vent. It is devastating to see. When she’s not pooping, she looks perfectly normal and happy, although her appetite is definitely reduced. Can she get better? I love her so much but I don’t want to keep her alive if she’s suffering.

Attachments

• 255F2171-5688-42FA-8839-A0A2C648B747.jpeg
    255F2171-5688-42FA-8839-A0A2C648B747.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 41

Back
Top Bottom