Hen has red skin on back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morning Dove, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I'm pretty sure my roo is the cause of this, but one of my hens has lost most of the feathers on her back and her skin there is red and enflamed. Or is this normal for molting? How do I treat this? I don't have a camera, sorry!

Dove

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    If you get more hens the rooster will be busy breeding other hens and not breed her as much.

3. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Quote:I did just move four more hens into the "laying coop", but they are young, like 4 months old.

Dove

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It does sound like it's from your Roosters mating behavior. And it's true that you need to get some more hens for him so he divides his time between multiple girls and thus, hopefully doesn't hurt them so much.

You can also try 'saddles' for your hens since you don't have so many. That will protect their backs from him.

You could rehome your Rooster or keep him separate for a while until the younger girls grow up; thus giving him more girls to 'date'.

You will want to keep a close eye on her, if she starts to bleed (and even if she doesn't, the other hens may start to feather pick that area making it even worse. You will then have to separate her and treat the area.

5. Morning Dove

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Thanks! I looked up the saddles and my mom and I are going to try the no sew pattern I found here at back yard chickens.

I'm not planning on breeding any more hens this year, I already have 8 cockerels that I'm planning on butchering in April, and I just have no place to raise more chickens until they are in my freezer.

Dove

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by