hen has something stuck in her eye!

corduroid

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2018
Hello! When I got home (about an hour ago) I noticed one of my Plymouth R
20181205_140705.jpg
20181205_140705.jpg
ock girls seemed to have something stuck in her eye.

So far I've tried gently tugging on the object to get it out-- no good. I think I'd have to pull much harder and I'm worried I don't have enough info yet to do that confidently. I've also VERY gently massaged the area just behind where the object seems to be stuck, in an attempt to coax/push it out. No good either.

Important notes: her third eyelid is still working perfectly fine, there's no blood, and she's acting very normal. Only seemed to be in a little pain when I tugged on the object. No swelling so far.

My theory is that she got some little stick/pine needle/whatever lodged in there when she was dirt bathing earlier today. I really have no clue though.

My plan going forward is to use a q-tip to dab water on the object to soften it.

I am going to try and include some photos, but this is my first thread so fingers crossed that I do it right. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! x

I had a problem like this with a very young pullet, still pretty much a chick. She and her two brothers were free-ranging with close supervision in my backyard in some wine-berry bramble and when I go out to check on them, she has what appeared to be grass poked through/under the eyelid. I tried tugging on it but both my mom and I were nervous about hurting her. So I texted a pic to a local farm vet and she said just pull it out. So we did. And she was fine, no damage.

Have someone hold your hen and use tweezers or your fingers to remove it. Be careful with the tweezers, you don’t want to poke her in the eye! It might be painful for her for you to remove it, but she will feel a lot better with it out.

I had a problem like this with a very young pullet, still pretty much a chick. She and her two brothers were free-ranging with close supervision in my backyard in some wine-berry bramble and when I go out to check on them, she has what appeared to be grass poked through/under the eyelid. I tried tugging on it but both my mom and I were nervous about hurting her. So I texted a pic to a local farm vet and she said just pull it out. So we did. And she was fine, no damage.

Have someone hold your hen and use tweezers or your fingers to remove it. Be careful with the tweezers, you don’t want to poke her in the eye! It might be painful for her for you to remove it, but she will feel a lot better with it out.

Thank you! I'll try doing this.

UPDATE: I tried pulling it out of her eye. I did get some of it out, but right after I did that, she rubbed her face against my arm and pushed the remainder of it up under her eyelid more. So there is a lot of it left, and I can't reach it right now :(. BUT it's been a few hours since I first noticed it, and there's still no swelling or leaking liquids, so that's good. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and try to pull the rest of the crud out if I get the chance.

It looks like the pine needle or whatever pieced the conjunctiva around the eye. I would cut a piece of the needle, and then try to pull the rest out from the other side. Or see a vet.
Oh yes, I see what you mean! It is almost like a fish hook that has hooked through the conjunctiva and you can see both ends. The short end closest to the eye and then the longer end sticking out. I think you might be right that it needs pulling back through from the other end.

Oh yes, I see what you mean! It is almost like a fish hook that has hooked through the conjunctiva and you can see both ends. The short end closest to the eye and then the longer end sticking out. I think you might be right that it needs pulling back through from the other end.
Uh-oh! Thanks for pointing that out, guys. I'll have to see what I can do about it. This might have to end with a visit to the vet after all.

Back
Top Bottom