Hen has sour crop and impacted crop!!! She has lost weight!!!!!

Gave her the stool softener, massaged a bit, got her to sip on some water, and applied a "crop bra" because the crop is sagging quite a bit... We think she got pendulous crop from having it impacted for so long. Waiting on her to have a bowel movement. Leaving her alone in the cat carrier for an hour and going to check on her again.

I'm keeping you and your girl in my thoughts!!! Is her crop sagging at all? Ours was sagging quite a bit and we figured it to be pendulous crop. We just made her a "crop bra" out of ace bandages.
No, its not sagging, the crop is not hard either or large. I will give an update on her tomorrow

UPDATE!!! We accidentally fed her 2 tablespoons instead of 2 teaspoons... BUT!!! I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Mainly because her crop has gotten considerably smaller! NOW fits in my palm like a baseball. A TON better!!! Massaged her twice, each for 10 mins. Still not flat. Going to give her a 30 min break before we give her the stool softener and more massaging. Please keep us in your thoughts!!!
Good luck and we can compare notes on how we are both doing 😍

No bowel movement yet but she is willing to sip on water. My roommate says her crop doesn't feel like it has anything solid, but is still squishy with liquid. At this stage, should we start treatment for the yeast infection (sour crop)? Is there anything we can give her to eat? I heard chickens can only go 4 days without food and water, and I'm really worried... Can we give her plain yogurt with crushed garlic?

I found this in the coop this morning mixed in with her poo, if its a lash egg which I suspect it is then her prognosis is not good😢 She was a bit perkier and was ready to come out today. She had a bit of yogurt and then found herself a sunny spot to lie down in, i didnt check her crop, for a sick chicken she is still fast and hard to catch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 19
I found this in the coop this morning mixed in with her poo, if its a lash egg which I suspect it is then her prognosis is not good😢 She was a bit perkier and was ready to come out today. She had a bit of yogurt and then found herself a sunny spot to lie down in, i didnt check her crop, for a sick chicken she is still fast and hard to catch
Just pulled it apart and there was a gritty membrane inside it, I wonder if this has what has been making her ill, its all such a guessing game😟

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 19
Just pulled it apart and there was a gritty membrane inside it, I wonder if this has what has been making her ill, its all such a guessing game😟
You are right. Your hen has a chronic reproductive infection, perhaps is also internally laying. Her prognosis is not good.

Have you begin miconazole treatment? If not, then you probably should. A chicken can do without food for days, but water needs to be given with a syringe if she refuses to drink. Try grated carrot. Often my crop patients will eat that when all else fails. Soft boiled egg is another thing they will usually eat.

Have you begin miconazole treatment? If not, then you probably should. A chicken can do without food for days, but water needs to be given with a syringe if she refuses to drink. Try grated carrot. Often my crop patients will eat that when all else fails. Soft boiled egg is another thing they will usually eat.
I felt her crop earlier, nothing in there, no squishyness or smell so dont know if she had sour crop or not now. She had some yogurt earlier and crushed garlic mixed with coconut oil. To be honest I really dont know what I should be treating her for😢

I felt her crop earlier, nothing in there, no squishyness or smell so dont know if she had sour crop or not now. She had some yogurt earlier and crushed garlic mixed with coconut oil. To be honest I really dont know what I should be treating her for😢
This is the problem with trying to hitch a ride on someone else's thread. I was answering the original poster. I answered your post by citing your quote. Your hen appears to have a terminal infection, maybe treatable, probably not. If you want to discuss your hen's issues, it would be best to make your own thread so we all know what we're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom