Hen has stopped laying :(

amateureggs

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2016
Utah
I have a jersey giant that is about 26 weeks, I'm pretty sure she has layed two eggs to date. Last Sunday our family went out for the entire day and she somehow got out of the yard and was without her food or water for I don't know how long. It was a very hot day, Temps over 100. She has not layed any eggs since then. Is it possible that she was so stressed that she has just stopped laying? If so how long? Poor baby I felt so bad for her, she was definitely stressed.
Also, I have what I think is a mix between blue Wyandotte and a blue orphington???? Hard to tell but she is also about 26 weeks and doesn't even seem remotely ready to lay eggs. All of her sisters of the same age started laying weeks ago. Is it possible that she might just not lay eggs? Might be a silly question but I have honestly considered it.

Stress and heat can slow down/stop egg production temporarily. But she's just starting to lay, and it is normal for it to be irregular at first. Look for the other to develop a bright red comb and wattles, and also they may squat for you when they are close to laying age. They will start, some are later than others. But if they are free range, check for hidden nests as well. Do you have fake eggs in nest boxes to show them where to lay?

It probably stressed her a bit. A few days and she should be fine. All chickens, just like all people, are different. Within breeds you get early layers and late layers. Shes only just reaching laying age now at 26 weeks so give her a bit of time and she will be fine.

Just so you are aware too, hens will slow down laying and sometimes stop all together as they head into winter. So if she and the others stop again in a few months it's perfectly normal. It's just their bodies having a break before jumping back to egg production in the spring.

Over summer I keep a bowl of water outside their pen just in case of such emergencies as an escapee. Better safe than sorry and it helps the little native birds too.

Last edited:
Stress and heat can slow down/stop egg production temporarily.  But she's just starting to lay, and  it is normal for it to be irregular at first.   Look for the other to develop a bright red comb and wattles, and also they may squat for you when they are close to laying age.  They will start, some are later than others.   But if they are free range, check for hidden nests as well.  Do you have fake eggs in nest boxes to show them where to lay?

They are free range, I walk every inch of our property daily to look for eggs. They each have their preferred spots but I look everywhere. My husband thinks we just need to keep them in their run for a while till they learn to lay in their nesting boxes. He's probably right, we'll try that this week. Maybe I'm missing a nest.

It probably stressed her a bit. A few days and she should be fine. All chickens, just like all people, are different. Within breeds you get early layers and late layers. Shes only just reaching laying age now at 26 weeks so give her a bit of time and she will be fine.

Just so you are aware too, hens will slow down laying and sometimes stop all together as they head into winter. So if she and the others stop again in a few months it's perfectly normal. It's just their bodies having a break before jumping back to egg production in the spring.

Over summer I keep a bowl of water outside their pen just in case of such emergencies as an escapee. Better safe than sorry and it helps the little native birds too.

I do have water all over my yard, not only for the chickens but for our other animals as well. She managed to get out of our property, when we left we of course closed up tigh but she still managed to escape. We found her hiding under a bush by our front gate. She was pacing and squawking to get back in. Poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom