Hen has what it looks like intestine hanging out of her vent. HELP!

The pictures would tell if it's just a prolapse, or if she has a malformed or collapsed egg hanging out also. If that is the case then you can gently pull with light, constant pressure to help her pass it. Do not force anything. If it won't come, don't force it. I usually use honey to coat the prolapse and then gently push it back in. You may need to hold it in for a short while until it will stay. Then check regularly to make sure it has stayed in. If she's still straining to expel something (including droppings or egg material) the prolapse may come back out and you will need to repeat until it stays in. Also give some calcium citrate +D once a day, that will help her expell any egg material remaining, or if she has a second egg in the pipe that was delayed by whatever caused the prolapse. Keep her in a quiet, low light area. It does need to be dealt with sooner rather than later, you don't want the prolapsed tissue to dry out or be damaged. Sometimes prolapses can be a one time event, some birds will do it repeatedly.

Uhuh. sounds like a rhode red or columbian cross, they are the most common laying hybrids and do get prolapse quite often.
I so want to help you as I quite recently brought a hen with prolapse back from the brink, but I'm so sorry, it's a hands on thing so can't really do much for you right now...

So apparently it was not prolapse. Because we figured out the intestine did not come out of her vent. We’re guessing she got cut on her back side and it fell out 😕 and my mom pushed it in and she’s acting fine but we don’t know what to do to keep it close to heal. We’ve been washing her butt everyday to prevent disease and put hemorrhoid cream on it to keep it moist Bc there is a small little part exposed.

So apparently it was not prolapse. Because we figured out the intestine did not come out of her vent. We’re guessing she got cut on her back side and it fell out 😕 and my mom pushed it in and she’s acting fine but we don’t know what to do to keep it close to heal. We’ve been washing her butt everyday to prevent disease and put hemorrhoid cream on it to keep it moist Bc there is a small little part exposed.
We don’t think it was an animal Bc it would’ve killed her and she is totally fine over her body except that little part in her butt.

We don’t think it was an animal Bc it would’ve killed her and she is totally fine over her body except that little part in her butt.
Please get some photos, it would be much appreciated.

Photos would be great.

Was there anything sharp she could have cut herself on -
a hen of mine hurt herself on a screw in the run and bled almost all night-
(it sounds like a really clean cut almost like a knife) ?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing though, well done and good luck...

Photos would be great.

Was there anything sharp she could have cut herself on -
a hen of mine hurt herself on a screw in the run and bled almost all night-
(it sounds like a really clean cut almost like a knife) ?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing though, well done and good luck...
Our chickens fly around and jumó on fences, we are thinking she could’ve fell and cut it in a fence even though our fences are shadow metal... but we are going to try to push it in a little further and close it up with skin glue and bandit to let the skin bind back together. When we found her it was hangout out but was functioning fine so I don’t know when it occurred but if we can’t fina a way to fix it soon we will have to euthanize her Bc we don’t want her to live like that and us having to wash and push the intestine back in all the time. But we hope it doesn’t go to that!

Our chickens fly around and jumó on fences, we are thinking she could’ve fell and cut it in a fence even though our fences are shadow metal... but we are going to try to push it in a little further and close it up with skin glue and bandit to let the skin bind back together. When we found her it was hangout out but was functioning fine so I don’t know when it occurred but if we can’t fina a way to fix it soon we will have to euthanize her Bc we don’t want her to live like that and us having to wash and push the intestine back in all the time. But we hope it doesn’t go to that!
I can try to get photos later this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom