Hen hasn't laid for 4+ months

johnpflum

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2015
I have a 1 year old Maran who I got in the spring of 2017 as a pullet. She laid great all summer and then around mid-September she stopped. I'm pretty sure she molted so I expected her to stop, and at this point she has regrown all her feathers and looks great. My other four hens have all molted and returned to laying in the last few months.

She was definitely the low one on the pecking order so I'm not sure if that's a contributing factor. She's eating great and isn't lethargic or showing any signs of diseases.

I've spoken with her about the situation and given her a mid-year performance review but she doesn't seem interested in speaking with Poultry/Human Resources about the situation. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Also, is this type of break in laying typical of Marans? This is my first time with this variety so I'm not sure about their laying habits.

It's normal for all hens some like to wait till spring others will start back up right away. Some of mine finished molting went to laying then we got snow and I went from 6 laying (others where molting or to young) to one laying. Mine are about three years old on some my new layer was the only one still on the job. The brats went on strike lol.

Also, is this type of break in laying typical of Marans? This is my first time with this variety so I'm not sure about their laying habits.
Marans are often not stellar layers.
If you're not sure she molted how can you be sure she's grown them all back?
Might want to give her a good looking over, checking for pin feathers that may still be growing out. Slow molters it can be hard to tell they are molting, can take longer to get back into production.

Best to feed low calcium, high protein feed when birds are not in lay, can help grow out feathers and resume lying faster.

I like to feed a flock raiser/starter/grower/finisher type feed with 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer daily. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.
Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container. I also regularly offer digestive granite grit in the appropriate size, throw it out on the ground with the scratch. http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

Animal protein (a freshly trapped mouse, a bit of canned mackerel, mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided once in while and during molting and/or if I see any feather eating.

Back
Top Bottom