Hen hatching ducklings... eggs have a crack on them..

Liquid bandage or nail polish would work well for such a small crack and they can still pip through those. Is the crack with tape also located on the rounded end of the egg? You shouldn't need to remove it unless the tape is covering the air cell where the duckling will pip and zip. :) Good luck on your hatch!

Liquid bandage or nail polish would work well for such a small crack and they can still pip through those. Is the crack with tape also located on the rounded end of the egg? You shouldn't need to remove it unless the tape is covering the air cell where the duckling will pip and zip. :) Good luck on your hatch!
Thanks! The egg with the tape on it has a crack going right through the middle of the egg.. I peeled a wee bit of the tape off to have a look at the crack and it seems to have gotten bigger and the tape is peeling the shell off. There was a bit of blood on some of the tape and I could see a dark thing through the hole... what should I do?

Should I use nail polish on the egg that I found cracked today?

Thanks! The egg with the tape on it has a crack going right through the middle of the egg.. I peeled a wee bit of the tape off to have a look at the crack and it seems to have gotten bigger and the tape is peeling the shell off. There was a bit of blood on some of the tape and I could see a dark thing through the hole... what should I do?

If it's going through the middle of the egg where the chick won't be pipping then I wouldn't touch it. Was the blood fresh or dried from when it happened? Could the broody hen be repeatedly stepping on or pecking the eggs? Some hens just aren't as careful with eggs or maybe she needs more nesting material?

Should I use nail polish on the egg that I found cracked today?

Either the liquid bandage or nail polish will work well with closed cracks like that one and I've watched a chick pip through the nail polish first hand so I know it doesn't hinder the hatch.

20220501_172802.jpg
20220501_172741.jpg

The crack has gotten so much bigger than it was last week

If it's going through the middle of the egg where the chick won't be pipping then I wouldn't touch it. Was the blood fresh or dried from when it happened? Could the broody hen be repeatedly stepping on or pecking the eggs? Some hens just aren't as careful with eggs or maybe she needs more nesting material?

Either the liquid bandage or nail polish will work well with closed cracks like that one and I've watched a chick pip through the nail polish first hand so I know it doesn't hinder the hatch.
I
20220501_173205.jpg
20220501_173159.jpg

View attachment 3087757View attachment 3087758
The crack has gotten so much bigger than it was last week

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. I've never used medical tape on an egg but I know it has very sticky adhesive so I don't know that I would try to pull it off because I would worry it may make the situation worse. I see where it's pulling pieces of shell away but the blood does appear a little brown so maybe it's older. I still wouldn't want to accidentally make a new bleed by taking it off. You still have quite some time before this little one is ready for hatch though.
Unfortunately cracks like this significantly reduce its chances of making it to hatch because it's open to bacteria but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I just don't want you to get your hopes up on this one. You're doing what you can to try to stabilize the crack. :hugs I do think the other egg has a really good chance of making it though because the crack is minimal!
For future reference, I have found that only covering the crack is the best practice when applying anything to a shell because covering too much surface area can affect the gas exchange. I experienced this in an experiment I did a couple of year ago when hatching "Reject Hatching Eggs" I used wax liberally. Since that experiment I've had much better luck with hatching cracked eggs though so it's definitely possible! I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Back
Top Bottom