Hen hatching eggs - internal pip 12 hours ago - now nothing.

Amy_in_WV

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
I'm going to make myself sound like a total fool, but I'm at a loss and hoping someone can offer some advice.

I have a bantam cochin hen that went broody last month. After taking her eggs for a week or so, we finally decided to her try her hand at motherhood.

We made several mistakes along the way. Probably the biggest mistake was not initially separating her from the flock and not removing new eggs during that time span...thus we've ended up with a staggered hatch and I have no idea what "day" any of my eggs are/were. The first time I picked her up off the nest and candled the eggs was about 10 days after she initially started sitting. She had a total of 14 eggs at that point. After candling, I removed some that appeared not to be developing and this left us with 10. She kicked 2 of the remaining 10 eggs out of the nest a few days later. The first chick hatched last Saturday. This left her with 7 eggs. Even though she had 1 chick she continued to sit faithfully. As of this Saturday, nothing else had hatched or pipped so I brought them inside and did a float test. Only one egg showed signs of life (rocking in the water) so I put it back under her. I cracked 5 of the 6 "bad" eggs and found that 2 were rotten, 2 were feathered but didn't appear to be fully developed, and one appeared to be fully developed with a mostly absorbed yolk but was dead. I was starting to lose hope on the last egg so I candled it last night and heard it chirping. I put it back under her and couldn't wait to get out to the coop this morning to see if we had a new chick. (She's in the coop but is separated from the flock). However, there was only an egg...no signs of an external pip much less a chick. :( I candled it again and saw no movement and heard no cheeps but I can clearly see the beak in the air cell. Should I intervene by creating an external pip, continue to wait, or do you think the chick has died?

I'm new to it, but don't folks wait 24 hrs or for a pipping Chick to rest and try again? Im unsure how long for internal air sac, veins and yolk to finish up, but 12 hrs seems short to me if they sleep (and keep growing) too. Zipping can seem to happen fast.

When I got home from work today, the egg was laying outside of the nest and was cold. Still no sign of an external pip. We did and eggtopsy and found that the yolk was fully absorbed and the chick was in the right position. I'm not sure what went wrong. I just hate that it didnt make it. 😔 It also appears to have been a chick from my favorite banty hen. The chick was black and I only have one black hen and a gray rooster. I know this is just a part of hatching eggs but I can't help but be a little sad.
Does anyone know if you typically have lower hatch rates under a hen during the winter vs summer or spring?

Does anyone know if you typically have lower hatch rates under a hen during the winter vs summer or spring?
I think hatch rates in winter are often lower..

Nutrition tends to be lower (no yummy bugs) and that can result in chicks that don't finish development.

Also, if temps are very low, when she gets off the nest the eggs might chill too fast and too much.

Did the first hatched chick make it?

Yep! The chick that hatched is 11 days old now and doing great!
20210120_083218.jpg

Back
Top Bottom