hen having trouble walking

gratzalk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I have a Rhode Island Read and she is probably 3 years old. While she seems half-way perky, not drowsy or "blah", she's not using her feet much. She just kind of hops or drags a bit. She stays in the coop and last night she did 'bounce' over to get inside in the house, so she is mobile a bit. I just picked her up and put her in a nesting box but she did come back out in the outside area of the coop today. She's not been laying for a long time so egg bound isn't it, and her vent isn't swollen or anything like that. I checked it and while it's open, around it has black and very hard stuff but I don't know if that's just regular poo stuff or possibly something else. Does anybody have any thoughts on why she's not walking anymore and what I should do or look for??

gratzalk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
She seems to be back to normal now. I've not given her any meds or vitamins for the last probably 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. She gets around just as she did originally. I'm wondering if I should possibly keep her on Calcium daily or periodically or just kind of see if it happens again? Thoughts?

Outpost JWB

Songster
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
Ohio
What vitamins did you give her? Sounds like they worked
smile.png
Good to hear.

gratzalk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I gave her Calcium, Selenium, and Electrolytes. Guess I'll see how she holds up. All seems to be good for now.

Outpost JWB

Songster
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
Ohio
Good deal. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. You had a good description of her symptoms. I just had no idea what was up with her. One thing I have heard, is that hatchery purchased chickens tend to die earlier than farm born. I don't know that for sure, but the person who told me this said they only last a couple to three years.

Top Bottom