hen healed up from hawk attack, white feathers where wound was

deepbluesea

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 14, 2014
coastal NC
So my GLW Fifi got maimed by a hawk a bit ago. Thankfully she fully recovered and us back to laying. My question: when the feathers grew back in, one was pure white and one was white-tipped. Has anyone else seen this?
20180305_180600.jpg

Attachments

• 20180305_180549.jpg
    20180305_180549.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 5
Sometimes, it happens after molting. However, I have had several hens that had a few white tipped or solid white feathers grow in feathers from injury/damage. My GL Polish got some white tips on her crest after the last molt. Though I know it is often called 'leakage' (when genetic), I am not sure that is the case all the time...
The most I have is speculative guessing on the subject... nothing substantial. :)

Sometimes, it happens after molting. However, I have had several hens that had a few white tipped or solid white feathers grow in feathers from injury/damage. My GL Polish got some white tips on her crest after the last molt. Though I know it is often called 'leakage' (when genetic), I am not sure that is the case all the time...
The most I have is speculative guessing on the subject... nothing substantial. :)
Thanks! Nice to know I'm not the only one with the weirdo bird. :)

Is not uncommon when the bird needs to replace quickly a lost feather after a predator attack. I had seen the same after rescuing and recovering a blackbird from my cat. Don't worry. The next molt will (most probably) fix the colour problem.

Back
Top Bottom