Hen heating

Jared Vera

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Texas, Usaaaaaaa
How could I keep my hen warm during these cold times. My hen is all by herself isolated from the others because all the roosters were attacking her so we made a coop just for her to be in. The coop is really spacious for one hen so what could I do to keep her warm?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Give her a companion or two. She's got a cozy jacket already. But a few friends is better to pass the time with. Make sure you have ventilation, not seeing any in your coop. Each bird adds 10w of heat and moisture. You need to vent out the moisture or they get frostbite.

Channelling @aart , first I'm going to ask where you are, so we have some idea of how "cold" cold is for your little lady.

Then I'm going to echo @Egghead_Jr and say the same thing many other posters would. Where is your ventilation??? Your little dinosaur will gladly ignore temperatures we humans would find intolerable, as long as she is dry and out of breezes, while a coop with no adequate ventilation is a recipe for frostbite, even if its breeze-free.

otherwise, she's just lonely. May contribute to behavior problems, but its not a huge concern for temperature issues unless you are getting extremely cold (as chickens measure it)

Chickens find -0F cold. I observe this by behavior. With a lean-to along front of coop and all but 3 foot wide walkthrough covered in plastic with hay thrown down they only leave the coop to eat and drink then return to it when day temps are -5 to -10F. If day temp is below that I toss sunflower seed into coop and put a bowl of water just inside coop door as they wont leave coop at all. 0F and above they prefer to be in that outside space. Above 15F with little wind and they will stroll the shoveled paths on snow and ice. So you see by my observations chickens consider below 0F cold and will stay in the coop most of that day. I open coop door everyday regardless of temp.

Last edited:
How could I keep my hen warm during these cold times. My hen is all by herself isolated from the others because all the roosters were attacking her so we made a coop just for her to be in. The coop is really spacious for one hen so what could I do to keep her warm?
Get rid of all but maybe one male and put her back with her flock.
My gut reaction, would need to know more about your flock, housing, and goals for a more informed response.

Channelling @aart , first I'm going to ask where you are, so we have some idea of how "cold" cold is for your little lady.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606956129501.png

Get rid of all but maybe one male and put her back with her flock.
My gut reaction, would need to know more about your flock, housing, and goals for a more informed response.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2434842
I am from Texas and I will change my geographical location

Then I'm going to echo @Egghead_Jr and say the same thing many other posters would. Where is your ventilation??? Your little dinosaur will gladly ignore temperatures we humans would find intolerable, as long as she is dry and out of breezes, while a coop with no adequate ventilation is a recipe for frostbite, even if its breeze-free.

otherwise, she's just lonely. May contribute to behavior problems, but its not a huge concern for temperature issues unless you are getting extremely cold (as chickens measure it)
I leave her coop door wide open at night and the door is about 2ft by 1ft a rectangle door, what places could I put ventilation?

I leave her coop door wide open at night and the door is about 2ft by 1ft a rectangle door, what places could I put ventilation?

Ideally you want it up high, under the roofline, however the issue with shorter coops is there really isn't much wall space to work with. Could you get some more shots of the coop itself, from multiple sides?

Since you're in TX you're not going to get cold enough temperatures for cold to be an issue, however she really would appreciate having another chicken for companionship. Another hen would be nice, or 1 male that's friendliest with her.

Ideally you want it up high, under the roofline, however the issue with shorter coops is there really isn't much wall space to work with. Could you get some more shots of the coop itself, from multiple sides?

Since you're in TX you're not going to get cold enough temperatures for cold to be an issue, however she really would appreciate having another chicken for companionship. Another hen would be nice, or 1 male that's friendliest with her.
Sorry for late response, here is the coop:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom