Hen Heaving/Convulsing (as if to vomit)

CajunChooks

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
So, I know they can't exactly vomit, just trying to be descriptive of the weird movement my 15 month old hen is making - I am attaching a video here of a few instances for you to see. It has been 2 days now. Yesterday, I grabbed her and felt her crop - it was wide/spread out, somewhat empty and squishy, which started making me think it's perhaps sour crop? I tried to smell for it, but did not get any weird smell (don't have much of a sense of small to be honest). Then I checked her again at night on the roost, and it was full and firmer, but still a lot bigger, spread out, and not as firm compared to a regular hen where it's just a firm little ball.

She is otherwise acting normal, going about scratching and eating. I isolated her for a bit yesterday and watched her eat and poop, and the feces looked normal too, although perhaps a little dark. She might have even laid an egg, but I can't be sure as another hen lays eggs that look exactly like hers...

She does this weird thing though, for a long time now, that I don;t see with the others: whenever it's hot and she gobbles up a lot of water at once, I will see her move away for a few seconds, and then see that when she goes to eat something right after, a lot of liquid spills out as if she had just been holding the water to spit out. I thought it was strange, but it didn't happen all the time, and she was otherwise a regular happy hen.

She is very much at the bottom of the pecking order, and previously when she felt sick I have separated her for a bit just to make sure she was eating (I am spreading out some separate feeders to make sure she has access without bullying).

She was recently sick with an eye infection, from which she has recovered (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/droopy-swollen-eyes.1493869/)

In any case, I am attaching a short video here showing some examples - any ideas as to how I should proceed? Just treat for sour crop? Do chickens with sour crop do this weird heaving movement?

Thank you!

So, I know they can't exactly vomit, just trying to be descriptive of the weird movement my 15 month old hen is making - I am attaching a video here of a few instances for you to see. It has been 2 days now. Yesterday, I grabbed her and felt her crop - it was wide/spread out, somewhat empty and squishy, which started making me think it's perhaps sour crop? I tried to smell for it, but did not get any weird smell (don't have much of a sense of small to be honest). Then I checked her again at night on the roost, and it was full and firmer, but still a lot bigger, spread out, and not as firm compared to a regular hen where it's just a firm little ball.

She is otherwise acting normal, going about scratching and eating. I isolated her for a bit yesterday and watched her eat and poop, and the feces looked normal too, although perhaps a little dark. She might have even laid an egg, but I can't be sure as another hen lays eggs that look exactly like hers...

She does this weird thing though, for a long time now, that I don;t see with the others: whenever it's hot and she gobbles up a lot of water at once, I will see her move away for a few seconds, and then see that when she goes to eat something right after, a lot of liquid spills out as if she had just been holding the water to spit out. I thought it was strange, but it didn't happen all the time, and she was otherwise a regular happy hen.

She is very much at the bottom of the pecking order, and previously when she felt sick I have separated her for a bit just to make sure she was eating (I am spreading out some separate feeders to make sure she has access without bullying).

She was recently sick with an eye infection, from which she has recovered (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/droopy-swollen-eyes.1493869/)

In any case, I am attaching a short video here showing some examples - any ideas as to how I should proceed? Just treat for sour crop? Do chickens with sour crop do this weird heaving movement?

Thank you!

They do this movement to adjust their crop, or attempt to dislodge a blockage. I'd check her first thing in the morning to see if her crop is empty then.

"Irregular access to feed & water (bullying), causing a chicken to stuff itself when it does get something to eat and drink. The crop distends,stretching muscles, hanging down swinging like a pendulum. Feels baggy and squishy. Genetic predisposition also may be involved. Various treatments have been suggested for resolving a pendulous crop, although in most cases the crop muscles are so severely stretched they never return to normal. Some birds get along quite well despite having a distended crop. Since the crop can never fully empty, however, the accumulating contents may ferment."- Gail Damerow, Chicken Health
That's what the chicken bra is for.

They do this movement to adjust their crop, or attempt to dislodge a blockage. I'd check her first thing in the morning to see if her crop is empty then.
Thank you! I only checked in the afternoon (somewhat empty) and then at night (full) but couldn't this morning, so I will keep monitoring and check tonight and tomorrow again. I did notice today that there was very little poop under her roosting spot

"Irregular access to feed & water (bullying), causing a chicken to stuff itself when it does get something to eat and drink. The crop distends,stretching muscles, hanging down swinging like a pendulum. Feels baggy and squishy. Genetic predisposition also may be involved. Various treatments have been suggested for resolving a pendulous crop, although in most cases the crop muscles are so severely stretched they never return to normal. Some birds get along quite well despite having a distended crop. Since the crop can never fully empty, however, the accumulating contents may ferment."- Gail Damerow, Chicken Health
That's what the chicken bra is for.
Looks like I might have to be fashioning one soon....

Thank you! I only checked in the afternoon (somewhat empty) and then at night (full) but couldn't this morning, so I will keep monitoring and check tonight and tomorrow again. I did notice today that there was very little poop under her roosting spot
You're welcome.

Okay, update on how her crop is in the morning?

I will, thanks! If there's a potential blockage, should I be doing anything else, like massaging the crop? Or isolating her?
If there's a Blockage, feed coconut oil, & massage the crop in a circular motion in a downward angle. Tip: Just do not attempt to make your bird vomit, some have. This can kill your bird.

Keep her away from food for a day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom