Hen identification

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thefrogqueen, Feb 20, 2016.

1. thefrogqueen

thefrogqueen New Egg

Dec 18, 2015
    I have a hen of unknown breed, and she recently started laying -- I thought this might help with identifying her. I live in central Texas, and when I caught her she had been living feral for a while outside of my school district's admin building. She is orange with black markings, and she is extremely skittish, so I have not tried to weigh her or anything to avoid stressing her. Her eggs are cream-colored (they look more light brown next to store-bought eggs) and so far, she appears to be laying about one a day. I have noticed that she seems much more slender than the sex-linked she had previously shared the coop with, although that could be her youth. Any ideas? Will post pics when I can.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We really will need the photos before we can help to identify her as offering a good ID is more than color - leg color, comb type, facial feathering, etc also factor in and color ID is subjective as "orange" can be anything from buff to copper and that can make a huge difference in possible breed IDs.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with OlGreymare - PIctures please!!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by