Hen in nesting box, was panting lastnight, today I found her face down

A lot of times they can get grit from the soil around them but it kind of depends on the particular area you're in. It wouldn't hurt to buy a bag of grit for chickens (it's usually small pieces of granite) and just scatter it out and about. It should last a good long time and that way you'll be sure they can find what they need.

There are a lot of threads here on BYC about 'first aid kits' to have on hand for chickens. A lot of thought went into making the lists comprehensive. Look up using the "Search" bar toward the top of the screen - a number of threads will come up that are helpful. My most used staples are neosporin, bagbalm (great for scaly legs that can be for scaly leg mites), Polyvisol Enfamil liquid children's vitamins (in case anybody is under the weather and needs basic nutrients to help them through), clean dropper for administering meds or vitamins, broad spectrum antibiotics (and I've just added antibiotic eye ointment because my hen was having a problem but it resolved before the meds arrived), poultry electrolytes (though general consensus seems to be that Pedialtye will do in a pinch)......and there are many more things I have on hand but those are the ones that came to mind first...

JJ

Back
Top Bottom