Hen in the nesting box?!

It’s not a good idea to let her hatch any eggs with her being so young. If you want to “break” her broodiness, you can put her in a cage with no access of nests or block off the nests completely. As soon as the symptoms stop, you can put her back in with your other chickens and she should start laying in a week or two. It’s not healthy to let the broodiness pass because it can be dangerous and life-threatening towards the pullet.
Yeah, we're not trying to have any more chickens at this time. Now that I know why she's acting this way, I'm going to research some methods to stop her behavior. Shes definitely my favorite and seeing her act this way is super concerning. Thanks for your help!

In a large flock setting (junglefowl origins) the common Nests would not be possible to know if the eggs were fertile or not. Setting with no Eggs at all sounds like "stupid broody" that I have heard breeds accused of.
It just figures that one of my birds would go "stupid broody"🤦‍♀️ sounds like I'm going to have to separate her tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did and that it could be addressed. Shes my favorite girl so I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing and that she didn't need medical attention. If you have any suggestions besides separating her,, I'm all ears.. Thanks for your help!

It's a hormonal thing and you didn't do anything to cause it. There's nothing stupid about it, it's quite natural. Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others. What I have done with mine is to put them in a cage-type dog crate for three days to a week, elevated off the ground by setting it on some bricks. This creates air flow around the hen to cool her off. Be sure she has food, water and grit, and keep her where she can see and hear the other chickens. This way she shouldn't lose her place in the pecking order. You can put a length of 2x4 in with her to roost on, and you can let her out once a day to poop and dust bathe. If she heads right back to the nest, she's still broody, so put her back in the dog crate till she quits. Good luck!

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

I've got one crated now, my only pullet only 26 weeks old, SMH.
Pic is not her.
Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
1603287356304.png

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
Thank you so much! I'm going to put her in "jail" today once I get the dog crate set up.

It's a hormonal thing and you didn't do anything to cause it. There's nothing stupid about it, it's quite natural. Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others. What I have done with mine is to put them in a cage-type dog crate for three days to a week, elevated off the ground by setting it on some bricks. This creates air flow around the hen to cool her off. Be sure she has food, water and grit, and keep her where she can see and hear the other chickens. This way she shouldn't lose her place in the pecking order. You can put a length of 2x4 in with her to roost on, and you can let her out once a day to poop and dust bathe. If she heads right back to the nest, she's still broody, so put her back in the dog crate till she quits. Good luck!
Thank you! Setting up a dog crate this morning for her!

Some breeds are more prone to doing it in an unsafe way (too young too soon after last clutch) or without any reason to (no eggs on nest). The raised wire cage is to prevent her heat being reflected back against her skin, which maintains her desire to set.

Yeah, we're not trying to have any more chickens at this time. Now that I know why she's acting this way, I'm going to research some methods to stop her behavior. Shes definitely my favorite and seeing her act this way is super concerning. Thanks for your help!
Unless I'm hatching chicks I never let them brood. It's taxing on their health.

Back
Top Bottom