Hen in the nesting box?!

Yeah, I started looking it up and she fits the broody symptoms almost perfectly. That being said, is there something I did to make her this way and how do I fix it? Does it eventually pass or is she going to be like this forever?
It’s not a good idea to let her hatch any eggs with her being so young. If you want to “break” her broodiness, you can put her in a cage with no access of nests or block off the nests completely. As soon as the symptoms stop, you can put her back in with your other chickens and she should start laying in a week or two. It’s not healthy to let the broodiness pass because it can be dangerous and life-threatening towards the pullet.

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

I've got one crated now, my only pullet only 26 weeks old, SMH.
Pic is not her.
Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
1603287356304.png

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
Thank you so much! I'm going to put her in "jail" today once I get the dog crate set up.

It's a hormonal thing and you didn't do anything to cause it. There's nothing stupid about it, it's quite natural. Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others. What I have done with mine is to put them in a cage-type dog crate for three days to a week, elevated off the ground by setting it on some bricks. This creates air flow around the hen to cool her off. Be sure she has food, water and grit, and keep her where she can see and hear the other chickens. This way she shouldn't lose her place in the pecking order. You can put a length of 2x4 in with her to roost on, and you can let her out once a day to poop and dust bathe. If she heads right back to the nest, she's still broody, so put her back in the dog crate till she quits. Good luck!
Thank you! Setting up a dog crate this morning for her!

Some breeds are more prone to doing it in an unsafe way (too young too soon after last clutch) or without any reason to (no eggs on nest). The raised wire cage is to prevent her heat being reflected back against her skin, which maintains her desire to set.

I've got one crated now, my only pullet only 26 weeks old, SMH.
Pic is not her.
Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
View attachment 2381435
Did you put some sort of grating down on the floor? I have a dog crate that I put on 4x4s but the bottom wiring is too wide for her to walk on. I put 1"x1" metal grating over it so she could walk around without falling through.

Agree with NatJ's assessment. My one bantam was broody for 6 wks, never laid an egg, but did come off the nest to eat and drink. She's quit on her own and appears fine. None of my other mixed-flock ladies has ever been broody. I just watch them and make sure they're all eating, drinking, and pooping - if all that's happening I don't worry about them.

Is she laying on an egg? She might have gone 'broody' meaning she is trying to hatch eggs (fertilized or not). Maybe try taking her out of the nesting box and putting her into the run or the coop. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone else will reply.

Thanks! I don't think she's gone broody because she hasn't laid any eggs in 2 days. Otherwise I would assume she was broody. I took her out of the nesting box yesterday and today, she came out and immediately ate and drank but then back to the box. Im so confused by her behavior. Thanks for replying though!🙂

Back
Top Bottom