Hen injured by another hen - Not sure what to do - **pics** (Updated)

mermaidgoat

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Vermont
I came home from work this afternoon and heard a funny noise coming from our chicken yard. Upon walking over, I saw our buff Orpington huddled in a corner. Her head is injured. My partner said he saw one of our other birds sparring with this one as he was chopping wood but didn't pay attention because he thought they were playing.
roll.png

I'm not sure what to do. I have separated her from the others, but beyond that I need advice. I've never dealt with this before.

Here are some shots of her injury:

DSC04611.jpg

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04614.jpg

DSC04615.jpg

Last edited:
Mix some Betadine with water and rinse the wound with it, then apply some antibiotic ointment. If you have BluKote, spray some on the wound so the other hens aren't compelled to peck her. If they peck her, you must isolate her. Keep the wound clean so it doesn't get infected (flush with Betadine and use AB ointment on it until it scabs over). Spray with Catron (if you have it) to prevent maggots. If not, keep her away from all flies, even if you have to move her indoors, until she scabs. Good Luck, Lynn

Thank you, Lynn. I did the Betadine rinse and glopped antibiotic ointment on it.

Should I bring her inside tonight?

Last edited:
Yes, bring her in and if there is a feed store still open near you get that blue kote put it on her to keep flys aways because otherwise, it could get really nasty.

Sorry this happened, she's a pretty gal and probably as a BO, so gentle she wouldn't fight which just infuriates the fighters.

Take care.

The only feed store in our area is closed until Monday, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and get some then.

Thanks!

Poor sweet girl- it's like they have no concept that another hen could be so mean. So long as it's clean she should be fine. I agree about the Blue Kote (sometimes sold as No-Peck or Blue Lotion for horses). Phone someone with horses or poultry- I bet they'd give you some and you could replace it Monday.

Last edited:
Do you more experienced chicken owners think she'll live through this? It looks like a pretty severe wound, but not knowing much about chicken A&P I'm only guessing.

If I bring her into the house at night until it heals (I've already cordoned off a parcel of the chicken yard for her for daytime) do you think the other birds will accept her back?

Update:

So our hurt chicken seems to be doing okay. My concern now is whether or not the other birds will accept her back into the flock. I'm keeping my fingers crossed>
Here are some recent pics:

2 days after her injury (we've moved her inside at night and into a segregated part of the chicken yard during the day):
DSC04629.jpg

DSC04636.jpg

DSC04637.jpg

DSC04642.jpg

She's had BlueKote on for a week or so now:
DSC04654.jpg

DSC04665.jpg

DSC04674.jpg

Back
Top Bottom