Hen Injured , foot stuck in wire, Frozen, thawed now big water bubbles

lisabugg

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
One of my new young hens was roosting on a cage and I found her hanging from the side of it with her foot stuck in the wire. It was 8 degrees last night and the leg and foot was frozen. I seperated her and laid her in fresh straw and put a heat lamp over the pen. Now the leg and foot are warm but she cant move them and there are two water bubbles in between her toes. Looks very painful. She is eating & drinking. What can I do for her? I dont want her to be in pain. There is also a small spot on her leg that is seepy. Help.

I am sorry that happened and hope you hen will be OK.

I have no experience in this regard but will bump you hoping that someone will come along and help you.

could you post a picture of the 'bubbles'? that might help.... other than that i think your doing everything right! hopefully it will work itself out or someone with more experience will post!

Last edited:
You are going to need to monitor that foot closely. The danger is that the foot will die from frostbite and /or lack of circulation. Leave the water blisters intact if you can. They will act as a natural bandage to the areas. Clean the open areas and the blistered areas with betadine or diluted betadine today. Keep her separated from her flock until you can figure out what's going on with the foot and leg that were frozen. I'd keep her warm and quiet and well stocked with tempting food choices. Is she eating and drinking? If you are worried she is uncomfortable you can give her some aspirin, but I doubt she will need it. The dosing is a 325 mg aspirin/ 1 gallon of water or 1 baby aspirin (81 mg)/ cup of water. You can offer this solution in her water free choice for the duration of her ailment.

I can't think of anything else you should do right now. I think it's going to be a matter of "wait and see".

If you could post a picture that would be helpful. i'm not clear if her leg is sprained or if there is an open wound. It might be helpful to put some type of antibiotic wound coating (like blu-kote or even neosporin) on it if there is some seepage. If you could get into a chicken or avian vet, they can prescribe pain meds. My vet uses metacam. Barring that, your best option is supportive care - keep her isolated, heat lamp, good nutrition and time. If there are pulled muscles and sprains, she will need weeks to recover, poor little thing.

i found one of my silkies hanging upside down once with her toe stuck in the holes of a metal chair i had in the run. Luckily i caught her right after it happened. You have to be so careful, they're like little kids and get into trouble sometimes in the least likely ways.

Thank you so much Silkieroo and CMV, She is eating and drinking. I will do all those things and just keep her warm and comfortable. I hope she will be okay. Thank you again.

Someone told me to rub bag balm or neosporin all over the foot and leg, also give Penn G, 1/2 cc 1 time per day for 5 days. My Penn G is outdated back to 2009 will it be okay to use since its been in the fridge?

The topical application sounds goods, but the penicillin probably expired. The expiration date should be on the bottle. Penicillin loses its efficacy after its expiration date, so it would be useless. If it's still within its use-by date then make sure it mixes up well and use it if you feel that's necessary. I don't use antibiotics unless I am sure there is a problem that warrants it, but you do what you feel is needed to save your pullet.

How is she doing this morning?

Back
Top Bottom