RTR is recovering from leg injury and now my Plymouth Bar Rock is acting different.

Chicken_man_J

Songster
Apr 21, 2023
SE Florida
On last Sunday my RTR was limping and hobbling to get under truck. I examined her foot and wasn't bumble foot. I isolated her in my shed that night while other hens where free ranging and got into the coop. Kept her isolated that night and put a kennel left it open so she could free range (there's a fenced separating her from other hens and she went around to front yard and lain an egg in spot where she has been laying) and put her in the coop while leg is healing almost back to normal let her free range with others not letting her roost in coop at night have a small cage I put her in at night before letting her free range during the day. She is now laying in coop where others lay. My PBR usually is full of energy first one out of the coop but has been lethargic the past two days. She is the lowest on the pecking order and ventures off from others before returning to coop to roost at night. Yesterday she stayed in the nesting box all day only coming out twice before roosting. This morning she was on roost until 10:30ish and but her away from other hens as I was cleaning coop. She looked bloated this morning and but water and food out for her. She was foraging and came over while I was cleaning and went into coop. Any suggestions or ideas? My hens have access to water and oyster shell all day. Here's a picture of her from the back.

Attachments

• Disco poop.jpeg
    Disco poop.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 23
She may be having trouble passing an egg, have you checked?

I'd be inclined to give her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily for 3 days. Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight and look her over for lice/mites.

Back
Top Bottom