Hen is changing sex

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
I have a buff that is growing spurs.

I know when you lose your roo or if a hen gets an infection in its ovary it can take on male characteristics.

But the question I have is the hen that is changing isn't very high on the pecking order. So just wondering what is going to happen to her. She has spurs that are about 3/4 of inch long right now. She is pretty much an outcast, the dominate female will not let her in the flock. I have to sneak her treats or she won't get any.

I have a few hens with spurs, it's just like us old gals with a few wild hairs on our chins. Maybe she is plotting revenge. Just keep an eye on her, and I would keep giving her treats. In front of the other girls.

I have a silver pheonix hen with a pretty impressive ser of spurs. She lays a pretty brown egg everyday, and even though she has spurs she doesn't act like a rooster.
Here's my girl:
86165_070711103317.jpg

Here's a close up of her spurs:
86165_070711103042.jpg

I had a White Crested Polish hen that grew spurs that where about 1/2 an inch long.....and she still laid eggs and acted like a hen. She was my little survivalist!
big_smile.png

my dad had a hen who spurs grew long enough to cruve up and into her legs but he kept them trimmed so they didnt actully go into the leg. she looked alot like the above pic, but layed white/ cream eggs

Many hens grow spurs. It doesn't mean she'll be the more dominant or that anything will change, she's just getting older.

I have an Ameraucana hen that has 1 inch spurs and I do have to watch her when I add new hens to the flock. She knows how to use those spurs.

Back
Top Bottom