Hen is changing sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ridgefire, Sep 3, 2011.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I have a buff that is growing spurs.

I know when you lose your roo or if a hen gets an infection in its ovary it can take on male characteristics.

But the question I have is the hen that is changing isn't very high on the pecking order. So just wondering what is going to happen to her. She has spurs that are about 3/4 of inch long right now. She is pretty much an outcast, the dominate female will not let her in the flock. I have to sneak her treats or she won't get any.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I had a game hen with what looked like spurs,she was a tough cookie.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have a few hens with spurs, it's just like us old gals with a few wild hairs on our chins. Maybe she is plotting revenge. Just keep an eye on her, and I would keep giving her treats. In front of the other girls.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a silver pheonix hen with a pretty impressive ser of spurs. She lays a pretty brown egg everyday, and even though she has spurs she doesn't act like a rooster.
    Here's my girl:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a close up of her spurs:
    [​IMG]

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    wow! those spurs are bigger than the ones on my roo! I've never seen spurs like that on a hen

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I, too, have a hen with spurs about that big. She's a hatchery blue andalusian. She's pretty high on the pecking order but doesn't act like a man. We have plenty of men around these parts, too.

7. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    I had a White Crested Polish hen that grew spurs that where about 1/2 an inch long.....and she still laid eggs and acted like a hen. She was my little survivalist![​IMG]

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    my dad had a hen who spurs grew long enough to cruve up and into her legs but he kept them trimmed so they didnt actully go into the leg. she looked alot like the above pic, but layed white/ cream eggs

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Many hens grow spurs. It doesn't mean she'll be the more dominant or that anything will change, she's just getting older.

10. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have an Ameraucana hen that has 1 inch spurs and I do have to watch her when I add new hens to the flock. She knows how to use those spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by