Hen is Crowing--Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by donnerbrandpears, Jun 12, 2010.

1. donnerbrandpears

donnerbrandpears New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi folks. I decided to try having chickens this year and bought two chicks in March.

This morning, my Rhode Island Red started trying to crow. "Lucy" is three months old. I thought she was a girl, but now I am not so sure. No one around here, including me, knows much about chickens, so I thought I would post a picture of her and see if any of you folks could tell me.

And secondly, if she IS a he, I am going to have to get rid of him. I only have two chickens and I know they don't do very well by themselves, so I am worried about the other one, Penny. Is it too late to get another chick? Should I try to get another young hen?

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Roo

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Definitely a cockerel.

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    wow id say boy too. id get another hen or two for her, i have mixed little mini flocks together with no issue. 4 RIR's and 4 frizzle mixes who are about a month younger. so far so good, everyone eats, sleeps and wanders around together. The 4 older girls even let 2 little ones take a dust bath with them. Super cute to watch them interact. Im in trouble though, since 1 of my frizzles is a roo, i cant keep him either. I have silkie chicks, who are 2 weeks old and im keeping all of them, roo or not! so i need to make sure i only have hens for now! Good luck!!!!
    kaitlyn

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

thats definately a boy by the brightness of the comb and development of the waddles.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Don't you just hate those kind of pullets..darn things never lay an egg and crow at everything [​IMG] it also has some nice saddle feathers coming in...I would try to find another closer to the same age and not a new hatch chick..you can go a month or so older or younger at this age without any real problems.

7. jeneanxo

jeneanxo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    North Carolina
    rooster- my 4 moth RIR's comb and wattles look nothing like that!

8. donnerbrandpears

donnerbrandpears New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's unanimous. So you can tell by the comb and waddle?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  9. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Comb, wattles, hackles, saddle feathers, tail, spurs and the big give away is the crowing. It's rare for a hen to crow, even rarer for a pullet. I'd go with another pullet about the same age, that way there'd be no guessing.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Change his name to Larry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by