Hen is having a hard time eating

Emrosenagel

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
Hello,

I have a hen that has been through ALOT in the past half year. She’s had worms, been rejected from her flock, and then attacked by a fox. Now she has a bacterial infection. She had stopped eating last week, so I took her to the vet. They gave me meds and told me to tube feed her. I did so once and it was fine, but then the syringe stopped working (could not get it to push at all). She started eating some bread two days ago, but now it seems there is something wrong yet again. When she attempts to eat something too big, it’s like she can’t grip it and flies out of her beak. When she does get something down, she shakes her head a lot and wipes her beak. Her beak also makes weird noises when she eats (clicking, sort of wet, soppy noises). It’s making her not want to eat, I think.

I’m just at a loss with her. She acts pretty normal besides the food thing (she scratches, dirt bathes). I’d just like to know what’s wrong with her.

Thanks,
Emily

Are you able to record a video? That would help a lot. Also, so you think something may have been damaged from when she was attacked?

Are you able to record a video? That would help a lot. Also, so you think something may have been damaged from when she was attacked?
I can try to do a video next time I give her some food. The attack was over a month ago, and the vet checked her out and said all was good (the crop was intact, no vital organs punctured). I believe it was only a kit that got her because the wounds were superficial and her recovery was quick. She was perfectly fine until about a week ago when she stopped eating and lost a bit of weight.

Back
Top Bottom