Hen is Laying Two Eggs: Concerning??

Seth_12

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2019
I have a two-year-old Wheaten Marans hen that consistently lays two eggs in one day. One egg is normal and then the other has a weak shell. Although I read that this can happen sometimes, but should I be concerned if this happens often? I feed my hens Purina Layena pellets and provide oyster shells on the side. My hen appears to be healthy, but any advice would be appreciated.

Yes. You are right to be concerned. As you've already noticed, when two eggs come down in one cycle, one almost always has a poorer shell. Eventually, this could result in one egg either not getting a shell at all and getting stuck or the one egg ends up breaking inside the hens due to a fragile thin shell.

I've had success in recalibrating a hen's cycle with a daily dose of people calcium citrate 630mg for four or five days.
P1010010.jpeg

Yes. You are right to be concerned. As you've already noticed, when two eggs come down in one cycle, one almost always has a poorer shell. Eventually, this could result in one egg either not getting a shell at all and getting stuck or the one egg ends up breaking inside the hens due to a fragile thin shell.

I've had success in recalibrating a hen's cycle with a daily dose of people calcium citrate 630mg for four or five days. View attachment 3610686
Thank you for the recommendation! Do you just give the hen one tablet per day?

Back
Top Bottom