Hen is making a strange noise

Rhonda Copas

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
My hen is making a odd calling sound. I'm not totally new to raising chickens but a couple weeks ago we had babies roughly 3 months old who were all murdered by what I think was a fox since I had spotted one across the street two days prior to the attack (we had 7 chicks) she (our hen) made this weird sound early in the morning and I found 5 of my babies in the yard dead and the other 3 were gone. This afternoon she made another call (same one) and I immediately rushed outside but nothing was there. Could something be stalking my hen??? I refuse to get anymore chicks until our fencing is reinforced and more protected but I just wanted another opinions?

It's her making warning sound to the other chickens to hide or freeze they do this when they see a predator such as a fox or a hawk in the sky I would listen to her I wouldn't be surprised if she was being stalked. Is the sound kinda likes coo? I would keep a VERY close eye on her she can see what you cant it seems maybe it is hidden in a bush and she sees it through the lave. To stop the predator problem you can set a trap for the animal and relocate It legally or you could kill it. I've had this happen to me too all of a sudden some of my chickens cooed and quietly ran under the bushes and hid soon after that a hawk dived down and missed them barely. Your chickens sound like there in danger. You could keep them in there coop so nothing can get to them

It's her making warning sound to the other chickens to hide or freeze they do this when they see a predator such as a fox or a hawk in the sky I would listen to her I wouldn't be surprised if she was being stalked. Is the sound kinda likes coo? I would keep a VERY close eye on her she can see what you cant it seems maybe it is hidden in a bush and she sees it through the lave. To stop the predator problem you can set a trap for the animal and relocate It legally or you could kill it. I've had this happen to me too all of a sudden some of my chickens cooed and quietly ran under the bushes and hid soon after that a hawk dived down and missed them barely. Your chickens sound like there in danger. You could keep them in there coop so nothing can get to them

Yeah she's just a single hen now so it's only her since the babies died. But I will definitely keep a closer eye on her when she's out and about. Thank you!

I agree. She is probably seeing danger and warning everyone. You may not be able to see it, but she does. If possible you need to coop them up until the danger is eliminated. A successful predator will keep returning until the food supply is removed or they are.

I agree. She is probably seeing danger and warning everyone. You may not be able to see it, but she does. If possible you need to coop them up until the danger is eliminated. A successful predator will keep returning until the food supply is removed or they are.

We have a trap set out for it in hopes it'll go for it but no luck yet. They are pretty sly creatures. I will make sure she is properly protected as much as I can. She has been our longest lasting hen we had two other adults prior but one died (natural causes) and the other got picked up by a hawk( it was the runt of them) so we've had a lot of bad things happen recently. This one was by far the worst though. Have been possibly considering an electric fence to keep the bad critters out.

Back
Top Bottom