Hen is moaning

ChickConcierge

Songster
Aug 29, 2019
Michigan
My 4 year old buff Orpington is moaning on her nest. I just noticed it this evening and realized she’s been on the nest since early afternoon.
She usually goes broody twice a year but not during winter.
No runny nose or other signs of distress. She took a big, normal poop.
I’m thinking maybe a respiratory issue? She has quiet moments but will moan more if I handle her. Normally she is a very tame and affectionate hen but clearly doesn’t want to be touched, but as you can see in the video she’s molting. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Peanut moaning

Any ideas how I can help her.
Check her mouth/throat with a light to see if you can spot something stuck in there.
I had a Buff Orp girl get stale bread stuck in her throat…she sounded just like that. That rattling groan is the sound made every time she sucks in a breath.
Otherwise, if she’s not getting worse, I may just wait for it to pass. What could she have eaten?

Check her mouth/throat with a light to see if you can spot something stuck in there.
I had a Buff Orp girl get stale bread stuck in her throat…she sounded just like that. That rattling groan is the sound made every time she sucks in a breath.
Otherwise, if she’s not getting worse, I may just wait for it to pass. What could she have eaten?
Thank you so much. It makes sense. I’m guessing she has a piece of straw stuck in there. I don’t normally use straw but put some in yesterday. The chickens have been scratching in it for something to do since they’re not going outside in the snow. I’ll check her out and see how post her status in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom