hen is molting, been picked on very blood butt and broken feathers

Dianneg

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 4, 2016
3 yo speckled sussex. been molting, has lots of pin feathers. today saw she had broken and missing feathers on tail, all around and under tail is bloody, she has a few patches on her body that looks irritated and scabby as well. She isn't eating, crop is soft. I have isolated her and sprayed poultry protector on the open wounds. Question is should I leave the broken feathers alone?

3 yo speckled sussex. been molting, has lots of pin feathers. today saw she had broken and missing feathers on tail, all around and under tail is bloody, she has a few patches on her body that looks irritated and scabby as well. She isn't eating, crop is soft. I have isolated her and sprayed poultry protector on the open wounds. Question is should I leave the broken feathers alone?
Can you post some photos?
Is the blood coming from the broken pin feathers or does she have wounds and/or possibly a prolapse that has been pecked?

It's hard to know if you need to pull the broken feathers or not...could do some damage if not careful.

It's good that you separated her. You mention that she's not eating and the crop is soft. Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty.

Let us know how she's getting along.

Can you post some photos?
Is the blood coming from the broken pin feathers or does she have wounds and/or possibly a prolapse that has been pecked?

It's hard to know if you need to pull the broken feathers or not...could do some damage if not careful.

It's good that you separated her. You mention that she's not eating and the crop is soft. Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty.

Let us know how she's getting along.
She is eating and drinking now and she has pooped. I didn't get a picture before we put bluekote on her. The broken feathers look like old ones, they appear to be hollow. She is picking at herself a lot. Have you ever seen a chicken damage it's own skin when it's molting? I think that may be what's happening. Then of course her sisters started pecking when she started bleeding.

She is eating and drinking now and she has pooped. I didn't get a picture before we put bluekote on her. The broken feathers look like old ones, they appear to be hollow. She is picking at herself a lot. Have you ever seen a chicken damage it's own skin when it's molting? I think that may be what's happening. Then of course her sisters started pecking when she started bleeding.
Do you have photos?
If she is picking at herself and causing damage, then I would suspect that she has depluming (feather) mites which cannot be seen by the naked eye.
You would still want to look for poultry lice and mites too.

For depluming mites you need to use Ivermectin Pour On, this can be found at Tractor Supply.
Dosage is .09 ml per pound of weight applied to the skin behind the neck. Repeat in 10-14days.

For external parasites lice/mites use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust.
thumbnail.asp

41xLaP0vFqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Is this kind okay? The one you showed was for cattle. When I get her out to treat her I will get some pics of her skin and feathers.

Attachments

• 15441287573101628965356.jpg
    15441287573101628965356.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom