Hen is pecking the chicks as they pip through the eggs!!! What do I do?

ChickenMamaSarah

Songster
Apr 20, 2018
Austin, Texas
9A526B57-2811-496F-BE40-B24B3757A507.png
Please help! Today is day 19 and 4 of my eggs have started to hatch. The first pip was at about 8 this morning and so far they have only widened the holes a little. We have a Nest cam in my broody box and I’m noticing her standing up a bunch and checking out/moving the eggs. But now she’s started pecking at their beaks through the holes in the eggs!!!! She pecks a few times and the chicks peep loudly then she sits back down again. Any suggestions? I don’t know what to do. It seems like this hatch is taking a long time too. It’s almost 100 degrees outside today too. I have a fan indirectly blowing on her. I’m worried that might be messing things up too. It’s just so hot.

FC6CD78E-B5E0-4DB7-8128-7D6353334480.jpeg
I read on another post that someone suggested offering some feed. I put a handful of mealworms in her nest and she gobbled them up. Hopefully that helps.
Is there anyone out there????

I noticed that the other two that have pipped and not hatched look like the membrane inside the shell is shrinking. Should I help them? One has pipped at the wrong end. It hasn’t made any progress in 8 1/2 hours but there is some blood on the membrane. I’m afraid to do anything for fear it will bleed too much.

Back
Top Bottom