Hen is sick, discharge in eyes

luckychick105

Songster
6 Years
May 4, 2017
Ireland
Recently I noticed that one of my hens has discharge covering her eyes and she has a runny nose. I went to have another look at her and I noticed her face is very pale compared to her wattles and there is a really bad smell coming off her that I have never got before. She is two or three years old and is currently not laying, but i think that is because of daylight hours, it is Autumn here in Ireland. I noticed this yesterday or the day before. She was caught by a dog this morning but she is fine from that, she was a bit lethargic beforehand though. If anyone might know what is wrong with her it would be great help. Thank you.

Luckychick105

Can you describe the symptoms. Coryza is only one of about 7-8 respiratory diseases in chickens. It causes a rotten odor from the beak, thick nasal secretions, coughing, and swelling of the eyelids and pus in eyes. MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum is more common, and it causes bubbles or foam in eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, lethargy, and a decrease in laying and activity. Other diseases may cause similar symptoms, so it is helpful to narrow down symptoms. Certain antibotics may treat symptoms of MG, and include tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, Denagard, and enrofloxacin. Coryza responds better to sulfa drugs. Most antibiotics would have to come from a vet. Some diseases are viral, and antibiotics won’t help. Do you have a vet who you could see? Here is a good link with symptoms of common respiratory diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She has been sneezing, has bubbles in her eyes, has a very bad smell coming from her beak, her face is pale, she has discharge coming from her nostrils and has not been laying

The bad odor does make it more likely that she has coryza, but she also could have MG with secondary bacterial infection. Can you try to get some antibiotics from a vet? Clean her eyes with saline twice a day, and make sure that her nostrils are clear. If you can get antibiotic eye ointment or drops those could be used in the eyes.

The bad odor does make it more likely that she has coryza, but she also could have MG with secondary bacterial infection. Can you try to get some antibiotics from a vet? Clean her eyes with saline twice a day, and make sure that her nostrils are clear. If you can get antibiotic eye ointment or drops those could be used in the eyes.
I don't know if i will be able to get any antibiotics from the vet but we are bringing my dog in tomorrow so I can definitely ask. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom